Hello from Panama City Florida

Rodney Tindel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I am looking for a surveillance system and thanks to you all, I’m totally lost. I thought a box unit like Lorex or Swann would do. That is until I found this website, which is a plethora of information. I have read the wiki and although very very informative is so confusing. Thanks for welcoming me and trust me I have many stupid questions.

Rodney Tindel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, if the box units are insufficient. What do you guys recommend ? I am wanting an eight camera system. Two of the camera will be ran to another building at least 200 ft away.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming you have power at the remote building (and have not run ethernet out that way,)
you'll probably need some reliable wireless link from main house. Something like a pair of Ubiquity Nanostations can work well.
Or possibly a pair of PLA adapters to make that connection over your existing power line...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, if the box units are insufficient. What do you guys recommend ? I am wanting an eight camera system. Two of the camera will be ran to another building at least 200 ft away.
Due to lightning, you will want to consider using fiber optic cable for that other building. Or a set of Ubiquity Nano beams if you have line of sight.
You also want to consider good surge protection on all of the equipment.
These cameras are hard to beat: Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
Then use Blue Iris on a dedicated PC for recording. See the Blue Iris subject area.