Hello from SoCal!

Skizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

was recommended to this site after purchasing a Q-See system from costco for black Friday. Very happy to find a nice community who has a passion for this. Definitely helped point me in the right direction! Excited to learn from everyone and fine tune my system for my house : ).

Hopefully I can add something to the community in the future to pay it forward

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

was recommended to this site after purchasing a Q-See system from costco for black Friday. Very happy to find a nice community who has a passion for this. Definitely helped point me in the right direction! Excited to learn from everyone and fine tune my system for my house : ).

Hopefully I can add something to the community in the future to pay it forward
Welcome Skizz

If you decide to pick up one of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras we can really use a good how-to notes to integrate and configure it along with a comparison of the 5MP cameras you picked up.

OH, what does the cables that came with the kit have printed on them? ( some cables coming in some of the kits are CCA, some others are using copper wires )

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT, @Skizz ....
@mat200 is so right about checking those included CAT cables with the kits.

I installed an Amcrest system for a friend that he had bought, it included the 6 cams and 6 Ethernet cables; 4 each 100 ft. and 2 each 60 footers. The cables were in their own box and I knew something was not right when I picked up that box: no way would 520 feet of SOLID copper cable weigh so little, they had to be CCA crap. Needless to say, I got him to buy a roll of good solid copper, CMR-rated jacket CAT-5e from Monoprice and advised him to pull that in which he did.

Skizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat,
I'm debating on whether to do the dual or single. I have 8 channels, 4 occupied with bullets. So I need 2 more bullets for each side of my house. Leaving me with just 2 spots left which would be a dome for the front and back door... Unless I can somehow get a 9th channel on my system then I can, otherwise I'd have to leave the backdoor off.

gwminor,
thanks for the welcome!

Tony and Mat here are pics of the cables. They were included with what they describe as 24awg cat5e cables. I ended up purchasing monoprice cat6 spool and putting my own cable.

q see cable 1.jpg q see cable 2.jpg

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat,
I'm debating on whether to do the dual or single. I have 8 channels, 4 occupied with bullets. So I need 2 more bullets for each side of my house. Leaving me with just 2 spots left which would be a dome for the front and back door... Unless I can somehow get a 9th channel on my system then I can, otherwise I'd have to leave the backdoor off.

gwminor,
thanks for the welcome!

Tony and Mat here are pics of the cables. They were included with what they describe as 24awg cat5e cables. I ended up purchasing monoprice cat6 spool and putting my own cable.
Thanks Skizz,

You'll only be able to configure 8 channels on the NVR - so no go on 9.

Consider augmenting the kit with the following possible candidates:

Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
Dahua HFW4239T-ASE review
Dahua HFW-1831E in-depth review

I like the following one by the front door
Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

There's more good reviews here - just use the search function and look for "review" in the titles.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony and Mat here are pics of the cables. They were included with what they describe as 24awg cat5e cables.
I see a CMR rating and a UL approval, so unless they're counterfeit, they should be OK (CCA cable does NOT receive UL approval!).

I ended up purchasing monoprice cat6 spool and putting my own cable.
Good man!