Hello from Spain

Deckard_80

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! It’s Pere from Barcelona.
Been reading many hours about cameras but still have doubts.
My brother installed a ubiquiti wifi antenna on the terrace and I’d like to add a Poe Dahua camera in the same network.
Antenna instalation goes like this:
FB60E1E2-C9F1-4816-BA52-76EC926D4C0B.jpeg

what should I buy to add a single poe camera to this now? I’ve seen those 4 ports poe injector but I’m not sure if it is the right thing to buy.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy a 4 port PoE switch. Something like this (USA Amazon):
That will power your camera and also give you several additional network ports so you can use one for the Ubiquiti radio. Don't forget to buy cat5e or cat6 patch cables if necessary.

It is possible, depending on which Ubiquiti radio your brother installed, that the radio supports 802.3af standard PoE. You can look up the radio model online and find this information in its datasheet. If it does support 802.3af PoE (which is 48-54 volts) then you could power the radio off the same switch and disconnect the PoE injector that is currently powering it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Ubiquiti radio does not support 802.3af, then you will need to continue using the PoE injector. Connect the LAN side of the injector to any port on the PoE switch. Note that with 802.3af, PoE ports can be used for non-PoE devices too without damaging anything. This does not hold true for the little ubiquiti 24 volt poe injectors like the one in the picture. Those little injectors are non-standard "passive PoE" devices which always send power and those CAN damage equipment if you connect the PoE side to something that does not expect to receive 24 volt power.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
And UBNT wants you to use shielded cable in any outdoor runs from the injector to the radio.

Deckard_80

n3wb
Reaction score
Went to see the installation and I found out I was wrong.
The wifi Ubiquiti antenna is mixed with other wifi repeaters through a switch.
As I can see there are 2 free ports where I could plug my camera. Would I only need a single poe injector like the ones in the picture and connect it to one of the ports and then throw a cable up to the terrace to have my camera up and running?

Thank you guys.

C450F162-374E-4A90-BD71-EE9D0A8A6212.jpeg
D89A5750-390F-440B-B195-D93BCD9BFED8.jpeg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Went to see the installation and I found out I was wrong.
The wifi Ubiquiti antenna is mixed with other wifi repeaters through a switch.
As I can see there are 2 free ports where I could plug my camera. Would I only need a single poe injector like the ones in the picture and connect it to one of the ports and then throw a cable up to the terrace to have my camera up and running?
Sure looks & sounds like it. to me.
I'd set up, configure and test the camera right there at that backboard to make sure all was well beforehand.