Hello from the center of the USA! I need some advice on security cameras

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a long time lurker and am currently building a house. I've done some research but need help refining and selecting a few last cameras and/or any recommendations!

My budget is around 1200 for security but I know I can always add more when I get funds.

Right now I plan on about 10 cameras. Located and oriented as such (at least a quick paint sketch)

My plan is to currently get the following items. (Numbering matches the picture)
0. NVR 5216-16P-4KS2
1. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
2. IPC-HDBW4231E-AS
3. I'm not sure what to get here, I will have flood lights that will light these areas up so I'm not worried about low-light. I'm very open to suggestions! (I was thinking 4k 8mp?)

Thank you for providing me with so much information, I never knew existed before. I'm happy to join the community.

Thank you again!

Camera Orientation.png

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a long time lurker and am currently building a house. I've done some research but need help refining and selecting a few last cameras and/or any recommendations!

My budget is around 1200 for security but I know I can always add more when I get funds.

Right now I plan on about 10 cameras. Located and oriented as such (at least a quick paint sketch)

My plan is to currently get the following items. (Numbering matches the picture)
0. NVR 5216-16P-4KS2
1. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
2. IPC-HDBW4231E-AS
3. I'm not sure what to get here, I will have flood lights that will light these areas up so I'm not worried about low-light. I'm very open to suggestions! (I was thinking 4k 8mp?)

Thank you for providing me with so much information, I never knew existed before. I'm happy to join the community.

Thank you again!

View attachment 36715
Welcome @Panserbjorne

Is this a new build? Is the house still being built?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is being built now. I need to go drill holes and run wires next week.
HI Panserbjorne,

See the cliff notes on cabling and suggested locations. Over cable now while it is easy ... N+1 cables per location, remember to add ethernet drops to your media center and any other location where a computer / internet connected device will be located. Also remember to wire for any security alarm system stuff.

Is that an attached garage?

Reaction score
It's an attached garage. I am wiring N+1 for all camera locations. I read the wiki. Ethernet drops at all TV locations in the house. Everything is wired to the server room in my basement.

I am going with abode for security so not much wiring.

I just needed some suggestions on the other cameras I didn't list.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money.

Run the ethernet cables now. Run two cables to each location.

Run cables to mount cameras at 6 ft next to each door.

run cables to put cameras on both sides of the garage no higher than the top of the garage door.

Do you in the future want Licenses plate reader capability, If so run cables to the street / mailbox.

I do not have cameras along walls without doors.

I do not like wireless alarm systems. I use a full battery backup wired alarm system. I feel that an experience skilled burglar will be able to by pass a wireless system. For the alarm system I use two of the loudest sirens I could find for outside (120db-130db). I also use two of the same type of sirens inside the house.

A short story on the sirens. After a breakin, other than the door frame nothing was take. The police showed up, they could not inspect the home, because the sirens hurt their ears.

I am now retired and have big dogs, much better than an alarm system.

Yes I am paranoid !

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By each exterior door - run 3+ cat6/5e cables

1 - for doorbell - maybe a POE video doorbell
2 - for IP camera at face level
3 - possible future use...

For each garage door - run 2+ cat6/5e cables on each side.

Normally most people have 1 garage door for a 2 car garage - want cameras on the sides about 6-8 feet high. ( thus 2+ cables on each side )

If you have a separate single car garage door there in the picture, add cables by that also on both sides.

Once you're ready to install cameras - you do not have to put them in all places - just the ones which test out to work the best.

If you have time do a test of positions before pulling cables.

Reaction score
I have a 3 car garage are you saying to run it on each side of the doors? So 3 locations?

Also I thought that I should be putting it high enough to keep it from being tampered with but no higher than 8ft?

For the external doors would I also do 3 wires to the garage man door and the deck door?

Reaction score
To clarify my garage doors are 8ft tall.

I was going to get nest doorcam are there better Poe equivalents?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not use nest cameras. I would use 2 MP Dahua starlight turret cameras.

The purpose of the camera is to identify the bad guy. If mounted to high all they do is tell you what happened.

For camera height set up a test rig, a 5 gal bucket a 2x4 by 8 to 10 ft. Mount the camera where you think it will be. Get a friend in a hoodie, base ball cap and sun glasses. If you can not identify them . then your camera is to high.

Do not think about saving the camera. In two years that camera is about $20. If set properly it will get a good picture of the bad guy. If the camera is visible it is a deterient .

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money.

Run the ethernet cables now. Run two cables to each location.

Run cables to mount cameras at 6 ft next to each door.

run cables to put cameras on both sides of the garage no higher than the top of the garage door.

Do you in the future want Licenses plate reader capability, If so run cables to the street / mailbox.

I do not have cameras along walls without doors.

I do not like wireless alarm systems. I use a full battery backup wired alarm system. I feel that an experience skilled burglar will be able to by pass a wireless system. For the alarm system I use two of the loudest sirens I could find for outside (120db-130db). I also use two of the same type of sirens inside the house.

A short story on the sirens. After a breakin, other than the door frame nothing was take. The police showed up, they could not inspect the home, because the sirens hurt their ears.

I am now retired and have big dogs, much better than an alarm system.

Yes I am paranoid !

I actually don't have a mailbox as it's a shared box around the corner. So idk how I could provide provisions for a license plate reader.

I went with the Abode wireless system because of home automation. I don't think I could spend anymore for a wired system to get the same automation.

The abode hub has a 12hr battery backup and I have it connected to a 24hr back up UPS along with one for my modem/router and another for the NVR whenever I decide to order.

Reaction score
I would not use nest cameras. I would use 2 MP Dahua starlight turret cameras.

The purpose of the camera is to identify the bad guy. If mounted to high all they do is tell you what happened.

For camera height set up a test rig, a 5 gal bucket a 2x4 by 8 to 10 ft. Mount the camera where you think it will be. Get a friend in a hoodie, base ball cap and sun glasses. If you can not identify them . then your camera is to high.

Do not think about saving the camera. In two years that camera is about $20. If set properly it will get a good picture of the bad guy. If the camera is visible it is a deterient .

I was already going to put a camera at the front porch but as extra was going to hey the nest hello for the door bell or a ring doorbell elite.

That makes sense I'll be sure to mount them lower for it.

I listed the cameras I'm looking at for the specific locations in the original post. I was hoping people can see if those make sense

Not shown in the picture is the garage man door next to the third car garage wall. (Bottom of my picture)

I only put a camera on the other side (top of my picture)
Because there are view out windows below my deck and I don't anyone to sneak around that corner.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 3 car garage are you saying to run it on each side of the doors? So 3 locations?

Also I thought that I should be putting it high enough to keep it from being tampered with but no higher than 8ft?

For the external doors would I also do 3 wires to the garage man door and the deck door?
If you have
1 garage door - then 2x 2+ cables ( 1 set on each side of that door at 6-8 feet high )
2 garage doors, next to each other - the 3x 2+ cables.. one set between the 2 doors

Remember ID distance a 1080P 2MP camera at 90 degrees has an ID distance of about 12.5 feet

Reaction score
If you have
1 garage door - then 2x 2+ cables ( 1 set on each side of that door at 6-8 feet high )
2 garage doors, next to each other - the 3x 2+ cables.. one set between the 2 doors

Remember ID distance a 1080P 2MP camera at 90 degrees has an ID distance of about 12.5 feet
Reading the wiki. I seem to have skimmed over ID distance. I saw it for the recommended starlight's but didn't realize 1080p was only 13ft.

Would 4k 2mp be best for the 4 positions around the home? I will be getting ample light up front so I assume I wouldn't need a starlight so would 8mp be better? I understand more MP isn't always better.

Also I saw that dahua also had a Poe doorbell. But could not find much about it on the forums in terms of review. VTO2111D-WP. @EMPIRETECANDY do you have experience with these?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reading the wiki. I seem to have skimmed over ID distance. I saw it for the recommended starlight's but didn't realize 1080p was only 13ft.

Would 4k 2mp be best for the 4 positions around the home? I will be getting ample light up front so I assume I wouldn't need a starlight so would 8mp be better? I understand more MP isn't always better.

Also I saw that dahua also had a Poe doorbell. But could not find much about it on the forums in terms of review. VTO2111D-WP. @EMPIRETECANDY do you have experience with these?
Hi PanserBjorne

Don't worry so much about the models right now, worry about the placement and running the cables.

If you need low light cameras the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight models are the best right now available for the prices most of us are willing to pay.

There's a lot of reviews here which will show comparisons so you can make final choices on models later.

Reaction score
Hi PanserBjorne

Don't worry so much about the models right now, worry about the placement and running the cables.

If you need low light cameras the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight models are the best right now available for the prices most of us are willing to pay.

There's a lot of reviews here which will show comparisons so you can make final choices on models later.
Sounds good I shall focus on placement. So my question is for the locations I've marked in my picture. Would i just run N+1 be enough plus the extra one for he doorbell and the 2 between thr garage doors?