Hello from the Desert SW - Arizona

iggytech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just found this forum and plan to use it regularly as I'm ready to install my home security system.
I'm electrical and electronic qualified as well as computer savvy so I think I have the basics needed for the install.

Found a Lorex NVR 4K with 8 channels Poe setup.
Came with 6 small bullet cameras 4K, 8MP, 4mm lens, 88 degree lens, fixed lens, color day and night, etc....
Comes with 6 100ft rolls of Cat 5e cable.
Cameras have no audio.
Bought for only $577 US with free shipping no tax.
So getting the NVR and 6 cameras I think was a steal for my starter setup.
What do you think?

Anyway, install will be this weekend and the only thing at the moment I need to ask you all will be where or which forum thread do I talk about what camera do I need at the front door patio area with audio?
Dahue, I think makes these cameras.I think makes these cameras. Thanks.

4KHDIP86-L1.png

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just found this forum and plan to use it regularly as I'm ready to install my home security system.
I'm electrical and electronic qualified as well as computer savvy so I think I have the basics needed for the install.

Found a Lorex NVR 4K with 8 channels Poe setup.
Came with 6 small bullet cameras 4K, 8MP, 4mm lens, 88 degree lens, fixed lens, color day and night, etc....
Comes with 6 100ft rolls of Cat 5e cable.
Cameras have no audio.
Bought for only $577 US with free shipping no tax.
So getting the NVR and 6 cameras I think was a steal for my starter setup.
What do you think?

Welcome @iggytech

I suspect that most cables included in kits may not be that good - so I would recommend going with quality bulk cat5e/6 cable w/ solid copper wires of AWG 23 /24 as that will be a better investment considering the time you will take to setup your kit.

We've had some good discussion on a number of Lorex kits - please search the forum.

One members replaced the M12 lens with a stronger one.

Feel free to share you install experiences with others so that they may gain from your experience and knowledge.

If you feel that you need a better camera for low light to add to that kit, please see the notes here for the Dahua OEM starlights.

Here's a great example of one w/o audio that many of us like as a more affordable varifocal model:
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

Also, by the front door I really like the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight min-dome wedge and the dual lens version
Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

The NVR you can reportedly reflash the firmware w/the Dahua OEM firmware - it will take some DIY learning and effort - however with your qualifications I think that maybe a fun project.

iggytech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you mat200 for the info.
I will be buying a cable tester from your store just to make sure.
I already plan to replace the RJ45 ends as needed to reduce the 100 ft coils they are sending.
After initial install I will monitor the SNR and make a decision on if I need to go up to a bigger/better insulated cable.

Thanks for the suggestion on the front door camera.
I will look into it.

John (AKA Iggytech)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you mat200 for the info.
I will be buying a cable tester from your store just to make sure.
I already plan to replace the RJ45 ends as needed to reduce the 100 ft coils they are sending.
After initial install I will monitor the SNR and make a decision on if I need to go up to a bigger/better insulated cable.

Thanks for the suggestion on the front door camera.
I will look into it.

John (AKA Iggytech)
Hi John,

note: A cable tester you'll likely buy from the store will not test the cable's outer cover, nor will it test the quality of the wires inside the cable.

A lot of these cables are coming with non-rated covers, and are coming with CCA wires - which can give you significantly more headaches attempting to trouble shoot them as CCA wire is more brittle and has a significantly higher resistance, thus not as good carrying power as solid copper connectors. As there are more brittle there is a higher chance for your to induce or create a fracture in the wires when you pull the cable - even a kink or 2 can be enough to cause a hairline fracture - which will eventually drive you nuts as often it was working ( electricity will arch over the hairline fracture ) and then mysteriously does not ( as the hairline fracture increases in size )