Hello from TN!

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a new member looking to install a couple of outdoor cameras after some strange happenings in the neighborhood. I almost pulled the trigger on camera system in a box but thankfully decided to find a forum and learn a little first. I've been in IT for over 12 years so I think I will catch on quickly. Pulling Cat5e shouldn't be an issue either. I'm not looking for anything super high-end but want something of decent quality.

I think I have settled on a Dahua 4216 or 5216 (non POE) for the NVR. Not sure where I'm going to purchase from yet though... I hope to get in touch with a member who sells quality items for a decent price, it seems there are a few on here.

I have no clue what cameras to start off with. I think I am going to start out with 2 just to get things going. That will also help me fine tune my camera needs based off their performance and can relocate them to other areas as I expand...

Looking forward to learning more.

-Daniel

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have decided to run Blue Iris instead of purchasing a prebuilt NVR. I have all of the equipment already on hand. This will give me the funds necessary to purchase a new POE switch and better cameras. Since the reviews of the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) are so wonderful, I have decided to purchase one of those to start out with. I will then evaluate what other cameras to purchase once I have a little experience under my belt.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice, Blue Iris is a great solution and those Starlight cameras have gotten really good reviews.

Welcome to IPCT.