Hello from UK - looking for a few pointers

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say this is an excellent site with fantastic wealth of information, experience and knowledge!

I'm looking to start off with a couple of IP cameras for outdoors, to overlook my driveway and front of house (non-main road). At maximum, I'd be looking at 3 or 4 outdoor cameras.

After much reading, I've decided that I'd like to go for a couple of Dahua starlight cams as there's not much street lighting here, although I do have a few LED lights on front of the garage (probably go for IPC-HDW5231R-Z/E from @EMPIRETECANDY). I may just buy 1 at a time, since I could get hit with 20% VAT plus 3.3% (I think) import duty into the UK.

For storage, I wasn't sure whether to go for a NAS (Synology or QNAP) with its integrated VPN benefits or a Dahua NVR (NVR4108-##-4KS2). The main concern I have is that my VDSL router (BT SmartHub) does not have configurable VPN, and I'd be looking at around £150+ (USD 200+) for one I can configure with OpenVPN etc.

BlueIris isn't really an option, since my PC isn't up to the task, and neither do I want to have a PC running continuously (which may be prone to erroneous shutdowns thanks to Windows updates etc).

I would like to be able to access my cameras remotely (via NAS or NVR), but am concerned about the security risks for P2P etc. At the same time, I want to be sensible about parting with my hard earned cash, so need the most cost effective solution. So, would it make more sense to change out my router in the first place, get the VPN sorted, and then try a couple of cameras with SD cards? Then, when all sorted, go for the NVR?

At the moment, these options are spinning around my head and I'd really appreciate some guidance....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say this is an excellent site with fantastic wealth of information, experience and knowledge!

I'm looking to start off with a couple of IP cameras for outdoors, to overlook my driveway and front of house (non-main road). At maximum, I'd be looking at 3 or 4 outdoor cameras.

After much reading, I've decided that I'd like to go for a couple of Dahua starlight cams as there's not much street lighting here, although I do have a few LED lights on front of the garage (probably go for IPC-HDW5231R-Z/E from @EMPIRETECANDY). I may just buy 1 at a time, since I could get hit with 20% VAT plus 3.3% (I think) import duty into the UK.

For storage, I wasn't sure whether to go for a NAS (Synology or QNAP) with its integrated VPN benefits or a Dahua NVR (NVR4108-##-4KS2). The main concern I have is that my VDSL router (BT SmartHub) does not have configurable VPN, and I'd be looking at around £150+ (USD 200+) for one I can configure with OpenVPN etc.

BlueIris isn't really an option, since my PC isn't up to the task, and neither do I want to have a PC running continuously (which may be prone to erroneous shutdowns thanks to Windows updates etc).

I would like to be able to access my cameras remotely (via NAS or NVR), but am concerned about the security risks for P2P etc. At the same time, I want to be sensible about parting with my hard earned cash, so need the most cost effective solution. So, would it make more sense to change out my router in the first place, get the VPN sorted, and then try a couple of cameras with SD cards? Then, when all sorted, go for the NVR?

At the moment, these options are spinning around my head and I'd really appreciate some guidance....
Welcome BigSpenda,

Given the option of a NAS or a NVR, I would pick the NVR.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To get started, you can certainly start with just a cam or two, intall SD cards or use Dahua's free software SmartPSS to use as an nvr, OR to retrieve video from the SD cards.
Or simply use the cameras web interface to retrieve the SD video.

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What's your take on the router "issue" re VPN? Is this something I need to be concerned about at this stage with just a couple of cams? Or is P2P (with strong passwords) adequate for the time being? I've read about potential issues with "back doors" on internet enabled products, even with P2P and strong PW protection. So clearly, VPN needs to be a consideration somewhere down the line.

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns . I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet on the new router and hope that I'm savvy enough to sort out the OpenVPN (although will be plenty of guides on the web).

@EMPIRETECANDY , can you explain about the "free tax way" you've mentioned in other posts - specifically for delivery to UK for camera type IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? Does this mean tax is included, or has to be paid by me at point of delivery? And, does it make any difference whether I order in batches of 1 or more?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns . I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet on the new router and hope that I'm savvy enough to sort out the OpenVPN (although will be plenty of guides on the web).

@EMPIRETECANDY , can you explain about the "free tax way" you've mentioned in other posts - specifically for delivery to UK for camera type IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? Does this mean tax is included, or has to be paid by me at point of delivery? And, does it make any difference whether I order in batches of 1 or more?
VPN Primer for Noobs

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi BigSpenda, good choice with the cams.

I ordered my first (sept17 iirc) from Andy @ Empiretech by normal DHL, then I had a slower, non DHL delivery. Neither attracted any tax but I have heard DHL is getting more scrutiny now.

I currently have another 2 starlights on route, I ordered a couple weeks ago so much slower, DHL was here in about 4 days! Hopefully still no tax but will update if I get stung.

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi BigSpenda, good choice with the cams.

I ordered my first (sept17 iirc) from Andy @ Empiretech by normal DHL, then I had a slower, non DHL delivery. Neither attracted any tax but I have heard DHL is getting more scrutiny now.

I currently have another 2 starlights on route, I ordered a couple weeks ago so much slower, DHL was here in about 4 days! Hopefully still no tax but will update if I get stung.
Thanks, @Jinx. Please do let me know once you've received them. Nevertheless, I'll still order them from Andy.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, @Jinx. Please do let me know once you've received them. Nevertheless, I'll still order them from Andy.
That is also a local DHL service, not DHL is slow, we ship all goods from China to UK via normal airway and pay tax locally, this need time. If use DHL HONGKONG, just need 3days to UK. Now from China to US and can be delivered within 48hours when package picked up in HK.

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick update....

I bought a new VDSL router (Archer VR2800) and configured it with OpenVPN with installed certificate on my Android phone. I bought 1 x Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from @EMPIRETECANDY which was delivered to UK in under 2 weeks (no additional taxes or VAT to pay - many thanks Andy!). Yesterday, I installed gDMSS Lite and got it working with the new camera within minutes!

I'm just playing around with the camera on my desk at the moment, as figured I'd best get all of the network configuration out of the way first, before installing it outside. Once it's installed, I'll be looking at ordering a few more cams and probably a NVR.

Thanks everyone for your help so far (including the wealth of knowledge on various threads)! :)

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah this was the thread I was going to give an update on, I couldn’t find it last time.

My cameras arrived shortly after I posted. No customs problems at all, up and running perfect. Infact I’m sure the ZE has a slightly better night view than my Z I already have running, hard to tell as different target areas obviously but it does seem that bit better on all 3 ZE's.

BigSpenda

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah this was the thread I was going to give an update on, I couldn’t find it last time.
Ah, no problem Jinx. I went ahead anyway.

No doubt I'll be fiddling around with the cam settings once it's installed. Also need to get a handle on the software re record/playback form the SD card etc. No doubt, I'll find info on this in other threads.