Hello from UK & Some Installation Advice Please

FlexiPack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the IP Camera game. I'm just looking to install a small setup at home with 1x cam and 1x NVR. Having never installed CCTV before, what extras might I need but not be aware of?

I'm buying:
  • 1x IP Cam
  • 1x NVR
  • 1x Wall bracket for the Cam

I know I'll need:
  • Ethernet cabling - Can this be safely routed on the underside of a soffit along the back of the house? What distance can Power Over Ethernet be used over ethernet cable?

• Does the ethernet cable need a special type of adapter to fit in the IP Cam (A Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) or does it take a regular ethernet plug?
  • I'll need a hard drive but I'm sorted on that front (Getting WD Purple). Is it difficult to install the hard drive and does it need a lot of configuring?
Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the IP Camera game. I'm just looking to install a small setup at home with 1x cam and 1x NVR. Having never installed CCTV before, what extras might I need but not be aware of?

I'm buying:
  • 1x IP Cam
  • 1x NVR
  • 1x Wall bracket for the Cam

I know I'll need:
  • Ethernet cabling - Can this be safely routed on the underside of a soffit along the back of the house? What distance can Power Over Ethernet be used over ethernet cable?

• Does the ethernet cable need a special type of adapter to fit in the IP Cam (A Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) or does it take a regular ethernet plug?
  • I'll need a hard drive but I'm sorted on that front (Getting WD Purple). Is it difficult to install the hard drive and does it need a lot of configuring?
Thank you!
Welcome FlexiPack,

Please feel free to check out the notes I made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots to learn, and I am still learning.

1) The IP camera you list Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS has an micro-SD card slot SO YOU CAN if you want skip on the NVR at this time and just purchase an micro-SD card to store your videos. If you do this you will also need to determine how to power your camera - you have a few options here - perhaps a small POE switch would work well for you.

2) Ethernet as it is low power you can safely run it under the soffit - the most important thing you have to do is make certain the connection will be good to resist water getting in and shorting your camera. Distance - iirc 100 Meters. Should be fine for your house.

3) The nice thing about POE systems is that they typically take the standard RJ45 connector, your typical networking connection you are used to using.

4) It is very easy to install and configure the HDD in a Dahua NVR.

Have fun setting your system up!

Last edited:

FlexiPack

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mat, that's great. It's answered a lot of questions.. though it's given me a few more as well haha