Hello from WA state

eripey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, glad I found this forum!

I been debating in getting a security system at home and there are a lot of brands out there. I came about this website and did some reading before signing up. Looks like it would be in my best interest to buy from EMPIRETECANDY and stick with dahua starlight varifocal.

I will probably get a dahua nvr, use POE camera's and stay away from wireless. Now onto more reading about specifics.

any recommendations would be appreciated. any rebranded just as good OEM.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, glad I found this forum!

I been debating in getting a security system at home and there are a lot of brands out there. I came about this website and did some reading before signing up. Looks like it would be in my best interest to buy from EMPIRETECANDY and stick with dahua starlight varifocal.

I will probably get a dahua nvr, use POE camera's and stay away from wireless. Now onto more reading about specifics.

any recommendations would be appreciated. any rebranded just as good OEM.
Welcome Eripey,

I think you will find the selection and prices from Andy to be superior as a whole.

You maybe able to find some rebranded kits which when on sale are a good deal, and some have augmented some of those kits with Dahua OEM starlight cameras from Andy. Some brands unfortunately drop the Dahua IVS features ( like Lorex ) and some others have very poor documentation ( like Q-see ). Also, some brands it is hard to get the junction boxes and wall mounts, and many kits the cables are cheaper cables ( applies to both coax and cat5e ).

So far, it looks like a lot of the rebranded Dahua OEM vendors are not carrying the 2MP starlight line, and instead are carrying a few models of the 8MP cameras.

eripey

n3wb
Reaction score
mat200,

so if i read between the lines...stick with Dahua to get more selection and quality? Steer away from re branded.

Also I'm guessing you have to have a certain amount of posts to message. I tried to message Andy last week but kept on getting an possible spam error or something similar.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200,

so if i read between the lines...stick with Dahua to get more selection and quality? Steer away from re branded.

Also I'm guessing you have to have a certain amount of posts to message. I tried to message Andy last week but kept on getting an possible spam error or something similar.
See the empiretech vender area of this forum for other methods to contact him.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200,

Hi Eripey,

It takes some time to figure out what is good, better, and what works for your setup.

The most optimal for many of us here is to order better quality cameras in the number we need from vendors - there are various US based vendors who provide such a service. Nelly's Security and Andy being 2 well liked here, Andy is known for selling Dahua Intvendors ernational Models, Nelly's iirc mostly Hikvision OEM for the US market. Both do a great job, and since they've got relationships and discounts for IPCT members I wanted to be certain to mention both.

Re-branded Hikvision OEM and Dahua OEM products and kits - sometimes you can find good deals. Just takes knowing more, and what to look for. Some products, like the Lorex Dahua OEM products maybe missing features, such as IVS and microSD card slots.

A lot of us wanted the best value / low light performance camera out there due to our needs and Dahua was the first to market their 2MP starlight line, and Andy has been an exception vendor for the Dahua OEM international models - when Dahua USA was failing to bring the US model versions to market. This is why Dahua OEM international models and Andy are so popular here.

Thus, many of us have become fans of Andy and the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight line of cameras. ( Hikvision has come out with their dark fighter line since then )

We know it works, and there's a good number of threads and discussion here on getting those working - either with the Dahua OEM NVR or with Blue Iris ( some discussion on milestone - not as much here. ).

To make your life easier on this you should look to buy a security camera system which you can find good technical answers to - in this forum the more popular products look like: Dahua OEM international model products, Hikvision OEM products, as well as Blue Iris.

eripey

n3wb
Reaction score
mat200,

thanks for the taking the time for the input and information. I appreciate it. The part that is overwhelming is the many models of cameras and all the different purposes and what we need. I been reading and looks like the starlight model is what I will be going towards.

For Dahua OEM NVR, does it matter if it's International or US version. From the looks of things, the cameras can be intermixed with each other.

I'm just a regular home owner looking to get cameras around "just in case". With people now a days have no problem just walking up taking your things or messing it up for fun.

I went to the Dahua website and filtered to a few different kinds of bullet cameras. looking for external and with mic. I will probably contact Andy with a list and see what he would recommend I guess.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200,

thanks for the taking the time for the input and information. I appreciate it. The part that is overwhelming is the many models of cameras and all the different purposes and what we need. I been reading and looks like the starlight model is what I will be going towards.

For Dahua OEM NVR, does it matter if it's International or US version. From the looks of things, the cameras can be intermixed with each other.

I'm just a regular home owner looking to get cameras around "just in case". With people now a days have no problem just walking up taking your things or messing it up for fun.

I went to the Dahua website and filtered to a few different kinds of bullet cameras. looking for external and with mic. I will probably contact Andy with a list and see what he would recommend I guess.

Thanks.
Hi Eripey,

This is what I picked up, you can use it to compare your options:

1x Dahua OEM NVR - NVR5216-16P-4KS2
added a WD Purple 4TB HDD ( currently available for $109 iirc from Walmart - maybe Amazon )

Nx Dahua OEM 2MP starlight IPC-HDW5231xxx ( there's a newer ZE model now ) + junction box ( new one PFA130-E ) or wall mount ( PFB203W iirc )
1x Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge IPC-Hxx42xx ( for the front door ) - there's a newer 2 lens camera worth looking at for this. ( see looney2ns reviews )

1x box 1000 ft of cat5e/cat6 cable from monoprice + jacks + ...

( got a few other items also, but that is the basics to get someone started )

eripey

n3wb
Reaction score
I just checked out youtube on the 2MP video cameras and it's surprisingly really good quality!

So these are all international versions and works well with firmware updates? I read that HikVision doesn't support international versions at all in the US. and you could brick your camera. It's not the same for Dahua?

Depending on the price per camera, I would probably want to have at least 8.