Hello! ignorance is bliss?

DrDrama

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all! This forum is definitely an impressive wealth of knowledge, and it has caused a bit of an issue for me.

I started lurking around (incorrectly) assuming you all would be discussing the sets sold at Costco, Sams and whoever else; but after reading through much of the Wiki, I was way off it seems.

So now I am torn. Just bought a new house and I was planning on just getting the $799 Lorex kit from Costco and calling it a day. However, now I've been stalking Andy from EmpireTec and wondering if I want/need to grab the Dahua Starlight cameras at ~$130/each and building my own system.

I do not need top of the line equipment. I live in Phoenix, AZ and what seems to be a relatively safe, quiet neighborhood, but to be prepared is half the victory. The street itself is fairly well lit, so I don't imagine I would need amazing low light capability either.

If I'm convinced to go the Starlight route, I'll definitely start with less cameras, probably 4, and just wire for the remainder 2-4 cameras in the future.

Is the Lorex kit "good enough?" Or is the Dahua Starlight absolutely worth it for both day and night capture?
Also, maybe I did not read through the Wiki well enough, but I did not seem to find pairing recommendations for a 8-channel NVR.

thank you all!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @DrDrama

If you can afford a better kit / system I would recommend it.

If you have a nicer home in a nice neighborhood = well that just makes the packages dropped on your doorstep by delivery vans better targets by thieves.

Recall the bank robbers of the 1930's, when asked why they robbed banks - the answer was "Well that is where the money is".

I like to have use the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight even in conditions which have decent street lighting at night to get color data.

If you park your cars on your driveway at night - plan for 2 cameras just to cover your driveway.

If you're wondering what to get - remember to pick up one test camera and start playing with it. Have a friend help out and play prowler, wearing a hoodie and a cap.

In the end you will need to decide what your expected threats are and how best to counter those with security cameras and a security alarm system.

Thieves and Burglars are a fairly typical threat. Package thieves during the day, Burglars during the day when people are working, car door checkers at night when people are asleep.