Hello im new, need some advice so I can learn how to set up my cams

Reaction score
Hi I would love some advice on which cameras I need to buy to suit my home needs, I need to do this asap as I cannot take the harassment from my neighbour vandalizing my home and terrorising my family any longer. I have a camera a vivotek 8332 on rear of my home but its useless at night, I need anither on the back and two on the front I have a poe cable laid into my roof but im not sure if and how I connect more than one camera to it. Preferably looking for something dome like which cant be broken easily also needs to have good night vision and can be recorded to and also recording to nas. Really dont have a ton of money right now as im due a baby in 4 weeks but the final straw is him smashing my door 3 weeks ago, it's taken the police this long to take a statement and he denied it so they are doing nothing, its just one if lots of things he has got away with im now scared what he will do to us next. Please if anyone can advise me I would be very grateful.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally you run 1 cable to each camera all back to a central point in the house, this is the easiest and cheapest option.

Stick with turret style cameras like this from Hikvision or Dahua and it's hard to go wrong:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-IPC-HDW4431C-A-Built-in-MIC-HD-4MP-IR-30m-IP-Camera-security-cctv-Dome/32580229073.html
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/nsc-2x4-dm-4mp-wdr-exir-turret-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html

if you want something faster, you may limited to something like a qsee, lorex, or swann system at costco or sams club.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should work but if your going to run more than 2 devices off it you should inject it with PoE+ power.. standard poe only give you an average of 3.5W per port and thats pushing it.. poe+ would give you ~6W per port and that can run most fixed lens IP Cameras.

these devices have to share the power provided upstream, so if its a standard 14w poe port.. then all the devices must fit within that.. plus the switch its self takes a little power, but its marginal.

check spec sheets on all devices plugged in and make sure combined they dont exceed your power source.

Reaction score
Thanks can you link me to the item I need to do this as im not any kind of engineer and im trying to learn, I need to find the item in the uk also.

Reaction score
Im not sure if its just a normal poe injector I will look and see. It goes into the injector and then into a switch.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check out its rated output, and make sure any devices you plug in down stream do not combined exceed that.. with just 2 cameras you can likely getaway with it, but if you intend on adding more.. and I suspect you will, then the time will come pretty quickly when that existing injector needs to be retired and replaced with the high powered one

Reaction score
Actually that looks like what I have from the diagram, so do I need another of these, do these have a 2 camera option?

Reaction score
Think I would rather get something which will be a bit future proof as I dont have much help to install stuff whats the next step uo from this?

Reaction score
Thanks I was considering hikvision are they easy to set up and maintain, the vivotek I have is good but there isnt much uk support.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its just the power supply, you just have to ensure your demand does not exceed its supply capabilities.. they all pretty much look the same if they are standard poe or high power poe+, its whats inside that separates them.

its not a concern when you use one device per power supply, but when you use these splitters you can quickly exceed specs..

edit: hikvision is okay, but I recommend Dahua instead.. they dont try to prevent devices from different markets from interoperating.. which is an even bigger issue in the UK/EU as I understand it.