Hello peeps, I'm keeping an eye on this place.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi all.
I''m just getting into the cam side of things, mostly for the security of my humble ponderosa.
I have started out by being gifted an Amcrest 4k 8mp bullet camera, after finding out that a ring door bell that was also gifted to me is a complete joke of a camera.
Complete white out, where I was installing it. So I ventured into my 1st upgrade, an amcrest 4k 8mp. bullet.
Then came a second amcrest 4mp ultra bullet camera, then an amcrest nv4108e poe nvr, and bought a good 4tb WD hard drive for it.
I may venture into Blue Iris soon, but the nvr, for now is kinda working for me, albeit, setting motion sensitivity is driving me and my phone nutz. - alert-alert-alert-
I am liking what I see here, the products, and truly informed discussions, and I am looking into the Dahua line of cameras, and I hope they will operate with the nvr I have. ( i kinda like keeping my higher end desktop pc to its own)
I have my eye on the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball
it seems like a solid camera for low light looking into my backyard at my storage sheds. Looks like day time is pretty nice also.
These cameras I'm hoping are a good step up from I have already.
I have to start this journey somewhere and with my small wallet - I will conquer some how.
hope you all can bare with me.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming everyone.
I took a glance at Cliff's notes. I'll get into them more ernestly.
I have express VPN. I suppose I can have it work with the port that sends the camera info to the net. I got some diggin' to do to figure that one out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score