Hello to all, brand new guy stopping by to say thank you ipcamtalk

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, what a great and active website. There is so much valuable information here and I am overwhelmed but enjoying learning. There are so many members here I would like to thank for sharing information and their test & evaluations but I don't want to snub anyone by naming just a few names.

My surveillance system plan has evolved based upon what I have learned on the forum in the past few weeks. The more I read the more I learn. Originally thinking Arlo, Blink, Reolink, Amcrest, moved on to thinking of a dedicated NVR with Hikvision, and then finally decided on Dahua and Blue Iris.

I recently built a PC, WIN 10, RYZEN 2700X, NVMe 1TB drive, 32 BG RAM, 1650 GeForce 4GB Card, Seasonic Gold PS, this hopefully will work well with Blue Iris.

I purchased a IPC-T2231T-ZS 2 MP Starlight to get my feet wet and play with vocal lengths. I have the cam up and running with Chrome (Nalc plugin) and I.E. with the recommended plugin. I am having a hiccup with PSS, loaded, found the cam, initialized, unable to view in live view, I am not concerned at this point, just need to play with it some more.

Plan is for 4 cams, probably Dahua 5442 variations. Planning on getting a managed switch, Netgear GS310TP and GS510TLP are on the short list and open to other suggestions.

Anywho, enough rambling, thanks for having me, I am sure a number of questions will come soon. Apologies for any inaccurate terminology in the thread, I am new to all of this.

Rob

Reaction score
Please share your idle and under-load power draw for that Ryzen system as your system develops. You will find Intel systems much more common here, because of built-in graphics and BlueIris’ built-in Intel acceleration support.

However, as one of the relatively limited number of people already using Ryzen, hopefully you can share your good (or bad) lessons learned in case someday business lease potion happen to include these AMD systems.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please share your idle and under-load power draw for that Ryzen system as your system develops. You will find Intel systems much more common here, because of built-in graphics and BlueIris’ built-in Intel acceleration support.

However, as one of the relatively limited number of people already using Ryzen, hopefully you can share your good (or bad) lessons learned in case someday business lease potion happen to include these AMD systems.

I will, and I wanted to mention the Ryzen system was built prior to going down the IP Cam route. My current PC was getting really dated and I built the new one just to get an up to date machine. I had no purpose in mind when I built it but wanted to build a PC that was not obsolete from the start. Your comment explains why I see so few references to Ryzen machines here.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Why a managed switch? Why SFP?

The managed switch is for the VLAN flexibility. I am leasing my router, probably should buy one with VLAN Capability. I know there are other ways to achieve objectives, I am still learning. Dual NIC is an option as I understand.

The SFP is because fiber is available (or soon will be for me).

I am still in learning mode and don't want to "over buy" but I would rather over buy and not need a feature than under buy and have to order something to upgrade.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome, everyone has a learning curve. It sounds like you are on the right track. Most people never take the time to do some research and ask questions. As for the switch , it is a good idea for using a vlan. Meaning to keep your NVR or PC on its own network. Just make sure the switch is PoE.
Good luck, vandyman

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome, everyone has a learning curve. It sounds like you are on the right track. Most people never take the time to do some research and ask questions. As for the switch , it is a good idea for using a vlan. Meaning to keep your NVR or PC on its own network. Just make sure the switch is PoE.
Good luck, vandyman

Thank you, the networking aspect is my week link but I am learning.

Reaction score
The SFP is because fiber is available (or soon will be for me).
If you mean that your ISP will be running fiber to your house, that is not the same as running it to your switch. I have ATT 1GB Fiber to my house. Internet traffic is sent to an ONT in the ATT box and is then sent to my modem/router via ethernet cable. I do not know if providers send the optical signal through to your modem w/o going through an ONT.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you mean that your ISP will be running fiber to your house, that is not the same as running it to your switch. I have ATT 1GB Fiber to my house. Internet traffic is sent to an ONT in the ATT box and is then sent to my modem/router via ethernet cable. I do not know if providers send the optical signal through to your modem w/o going through an ONT.
Thank you, will be learning the ins and outs of all this for a long time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also use a MOCA adapter to get your set top boxes connected, so you have menus on them, and use your own router that way. I have FiOS and just made that conversion. Basically plug and play, but make sure you reserve the addresses for you STBs on the new router to keep things a lot simpler.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could also use a MOCA adapter to get your set top boxes connected, so you have menus on them, and use your own router that way. I have FiOS and just made that conversion. Basically plug and play, but make sure you reserve the addresses for you STBs on the new router to keep things a lot simpler.
Yep, I have Fios. I have a cat6 coming from the box outside to my Tp-link routers Wan. The TV stuff it on the ONT by itself. By the way, I do not use any of their equipment either. I use HDHomeRun.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it is good info.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I might as well toss this out there, I did not spot a software forum.

I installed SmartPSS, it picked up the camera right away but I could never get to a live view, it showed the camera as installed but offline. It should have auto logged in per the manual.

I used the door arrow icon (per the manual) to try to login, it told me the user name or password was incorrect, and started counting down from 5 attempts.

Thought I made a typo, nope 4 attempts

Tried again, nope, you can see where this is going.

Username/password works when I logon to SmartPSS so I am not sure what the problem is.

Finally with one attempt left I decided to delete the camera, and re-add the camera and log back in, It locked me out.

I can still get into SmartPSS fine, but it shows the camera as locked offline.

I can still access the IP Cam in the confiq tool.
The cam is locked out of the SmartPSS software.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and what went wrong with trying to logon? Is the cam logon different than the software logon? Is there a better place to post this question?

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I might as well toss this out there, I did not spot a software forum.

I installed SmartPSS, it picked up the camera right away but I could never get to a live view, it showed the camera as installed but offline. It should have auto logged in per the manual.

I used the door arrow icon (per the manual) to try to login, it told me the user name or password was incorrect, and started counting down from 5 attempts.

Thought I made a typo, nope 4 attempts

Tried again, nope, you can see where this is going.

Username/password works when I logon to SmartPSS so I am not sure what the problem is.

Finally with one attempt left I decided to delete the camera, and re-add the camera and log back in, It locked me out.

I can still get into SmartPSS fine, but it shows the camera as locked offline.

I can still access the IP Cam in the confiq tool.
The cam is locked out of the SmartPSS software.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and what went wrong with trying to logon? Is the cam logon different than the software logon? Is there a better place to post this question?
What model camera?
You should start over with the camera and do a hard reset. Also can you change the IP address in ipcofig? Always change a new cams address, so there are no conflicts.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What model camera?
You should start over with the camera and do a hard reset. Also can you change the IP address in ipcofig? Always change a new cams address, so there are no conflicts.
The IP Cam is a IPC-T2231T-ZS 2 MP Starlight, the IP address was originally changed in the Dahua tool before I did anything else, then I added to SmartPSS. SPSS picked it right up with a search but it never went live. I checked my router, all seemed in order. Again, right now, works in I.E. and Chrome w/plugins.

I can still access in the confiq tool so I am sure I can change the address.

By hard reset I assume you mean change the IP address and treat it as a new cam in SPSS?

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
With FIOS you can also just get one of the old red and black ActionTec routers and drop it behind your main router to serve the same purpose (better on another subnet). Those things are cheap. They were giving them away at one point. I used an old one that they told me to just keep when I got 1 Gig service.

All that the set top boxes need is an outgoing Internet connection to periodically download the guide, for video on demand, and for other basic functions. You won't have any of the incoming functions like remote DVR programming and access through their app with VPN up front. Technically you could but the incoming stuff uses a huge range of dynamic ports that you'd have to open up so kind of defeats the purpose of VPN.

The new FIOS One/mini set top boxes that they have use Ethernet/WiFi but apparently you still need one of the applicable Verizon routers in the mix to interact with them at least to set up. I keep intending to call and get one to play around with to see what's required to make it work. I'd like to finally dump the coax.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing a number of posts concerning issues with the newest version of SmartPSS 2.003

Assuming you’re just using it as a viewer and not the VMS portion, try finding an older version and uninstall the .003 version first.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A hard reset is pressing and holding the reset button on the cam for 10 seconds while the cam has power to it. This button is found under the removable cover marked 'reset'.

View attachment 72557
Thanks for clarifying. I assume this restores it to the firmware it was shipped with and erases any flashed updates (like the SPSS configuration), sorry if a dumb question, still learning.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing a number of posts concerning issues with the newest version of SmartPSS 2.003

Assuming you’re just using it as a viewer and not the VMS portion, try finding an older version and uninstall the .003 version first.
Thank you, I will try this prior to doing a factory reset. Like I said, everything seemed fine, Spss found the cam, initialized, all was well, then it wouldn't live view or accept password for the cam. The Spss login worked fine.