Hello!

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum and wanted to say hi. I have no prior experience with cameras except for a wifi camera I installed as a nannycam. I am interested in setting up a NVR and around 4 IP cameras for a new house that is under construction. I was looking at some of the posts and people suggested to wire a CAT6 cable. This was something I should have to told the builder before signing as he would not do it now. I was wondering how big of a task that would be for someone without any electrical experience?

I would appreciate any other advice you guys might have for a newb
It seems like the IPC-HDW5231R-Z is a popular choice and I am considering to buy 2 of these one for the backyard and one for the garage.
I really like the tracking functionality of SD50225U-HNI and would like to install it in the driveway but not sure how well it works any thoughts on auto tracking and IVS camera to choose?
What would be a good spot for any of these cameras in the drive way.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate itIMG-20170711-WA0051.jpg
Here is the picture of the house

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum and wanted to say hi. I have no prior experience with cameras except for a wifi camera I installed as a nannycam. I am interested in setting up a NVR and around 4 IP cameras for a new house that is under construction...
Welcome Bludoc,

please do check out the discussion we've been having with another new member
New Home - First Security System

btw - is the Drywall up yet? If not I would figureout a way ASAP to get in there and pull some cat6 to where you need it.

Thank You

Last edited:

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Bludoc,

please do check out the discussion we've been having with another new member
New Home - First Security System

btw - is the Drywall up yet? If not I would figureout a way ASAP to get in there and pull some cat6 to where you need it.

Thank You
Thanks Mat I will follow that thread.
No the drywall is not up yet, the builder has a policy not to make any changes after the sign up but I will try to talk to him. It seems like he has a conflict of interest he offered to sell his surveillance package for 5 large which I refused.

I would appreciate any feedback from someone who might had installed SD50225U-HNI

or any comparison between
SD52C230U-HNI and SD50225U-HNI

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mat I will follow that thread.
No the drywall is not up yet, the builder has a policy not to make any changes after the sign up but I will try to talk to him. It seems like he has a conflict of interest he offered to sell his surveillance package for 5 large which I refused.

I would appreciate any feedback from someone who might had installed SD50225U-HNI

or any comparison between
SD52C230U-HNI and SD50225U-HNI

Thanks
Understand the builder likes to avoid changes - also understand the conflict.

This is what I would suggest:

you can easily say you want to do some proper research on makes and models of cameras because you have heard of hackers getting in to cameras, and that you are worried it would take you too long to decide. However, you would be happy to either have your builder work with you as you do the work yourself, OR he can make some extra money and do the wiring.

I would also do the security wiring and any internet wired ports at this time.

I'm certain the builder would be happy to either get a little extra $ to help you get the wiring done.

Thank You

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
I texted the builder, he says that there will be a cat 5 cable throughout the house for telephones which I could be used for the internet.
Right now the only available option is to get a handyman after the construction or do the wiring myself. Could I use the cat5 cable to hook up the cameras or they only take cat6/7?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I texted the builder, he says that there will be a cat 5 cable throughout the house for telephones which I could be used for the internet.
Right now the only available option is to get a handyman after the construction or do the wiring myself. Could I use the cat5 cable to hook up the cameras or they only take cat6/7?
Cat 5e will work, but they may not be in the best locations. Talk to the electrician doing the other wiring, maybe he could accommodate you.

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Cat 5e will work, but they may not be in the best locations. Talk to the electrician doing the other wiring, maybe he could accommodate you.
Thanks Looney2ns I doubt that builder will disclose who the electrician is but I could go to the site and try to talk to him if he agrees maybe ask him to do cat6 instead of cat 5e.
Looking at the picture of the house could you please tell where would be the ideal cat 5e access points for the cameras? I am thinking of putting 1 or2 in the driveway, 1 in the garage and 1 in the backyard.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns I doubt that builder will disclose who the electrician is but I could go to the site and try to talk to him if he agrees maybe ask him to do cat6 instead of cat 5e.
Looking at the picture of the house could you please tell where would be the ideal cat 5e access points for the cameras? I am thinking of putting 1 or2 in the driveway, 1 in the garage and 1 in the backyard.
Recommend going to the site 2x a week check progress and quality of work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at @mat200 post:
Looking for some advice and direction!

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns I will look at it.
What difference does having IR vs not having IR make on a starlight camera? My street would be pretty dark at night
SD50225U-HNI does not have IR I was wondering whether I should consider it or not?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns I will look at it.
What difference does having IR vs not having IR make on a starlight camera? My street would be pretty dark at night
SD50225U-HNI does not have IR I was wondering whether I should consider it or not?
If your street is very dark, no IR would not see well at night.

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Could adding an IR bulb help? Do you know if anyone that might have tried this and recommend anything like that? Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could adding an IR bulb help? Do you know if anyone that might have tried this and recommend anything like that? Thanks.
absolutely!

Do search the forum here for that, iirc a number of members have posted comparison here including nayr.