Help building IP camera system

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am a newbie here, hi all :) I consider to build an IP camera system. It would consist of four IP cameras, all outside. I have planned to use PoE, so I would just need to run RJ45 wires to cameras (probably they'll also need some PoE adaptor if they don't support PoE directly). I want to be able to monitor cameras outside of my local network, I think this can simply be done by port forwarding. It is also important that the cameras record, I have planned to use Raspberry Pi model B (which I already have) and USB storage for recording. I would want 720p quality.

So please tell me is Raspberry powerful enough for this? Or should I consider some NVR solution? Please recommend one.
And of course I would like to have your recommendations on cameras? I live in Finland, so I'd prefer to order inside EU to avoid taxes, but I am more than happy to consider China/Hongkong, as well (cheaper prices =))

Thank you a lot!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@olli. Welcome to the forum..look at hikvision or dahua ip cameras...there are lots of posts about these...they can write directly to NAS if you want...otherwise you can use hikvision free vms software...

Last edited by a moderator:

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your message. Like I said in my post, I would like to use external USB storage. Actually, I don't have a NAS and wouldn't like to get one. I have also heard that IP cameras don't have enough capacity to do the motion detecton (it consumes too much cpu/memory). Is this still true or just an old rumor?

Does that Hikvision free vms software run in Raspberry pi?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi,thanks for clarification. What is your opinion on this kit, would it be suitable for me?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4CH-NVR-Security-System-with-4-Outdoor-Indoor-IP-IR-Weatherproof-720P-Cameras-/201237946265
That mini nvr sells on ebay or aliexpress for about 50 dollars...there is a huge thread about it on cctvforum, it is far from a polished product...they are pairing it with cheap cameras...i doubt it will be any good. Also note, that those cameras have a power consumption rating of 12-13w..that is at least 5w more than the hikvisions...doesnt sound like much, but when you multiply by 4 it can increase your electric bill by 20-50 dollars per year..my suggestions is not to buy junk...get fewer cameras rather than many junk cameras/nvr
What is your true budget? how many cameras?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you again, it is so good that you help me with this... Since I don't have good knowledge on these items.

I would like to have four cameras. Including the NVR system, should be max $300-$400.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an pc to use with hikvisions free vms then this could be done....they are about 85 on ali express..
If not and that is your max budget i would get these cameras
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-Dahua-1-3Mp-support-POE-CMOS-HD-Network-Water-proof-IR-Mini-Network-Bullet/638300_1585786418.html
and this nvr
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/H-264-Dahua-4-8CH-with-1080P-realtime-live-view-Smart-box-1HDD-DH-NVR104-108/638300_2055797462.html
Or instead of the nvr, you can use dahua's free pss software on your pc.
EDIT: make sure you order the 3.6mm version of that camera...not the 6mm it will be too narrow of a field of view for most applications.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that camera is fine...but buy the NVR from the same place. The store link for the nvr you provided does not have good feedback..
Note, if you by the mini NVR's you will be forced to used 2.5 inch drive which have size limitations and cost much more than 3.5 inch drives...you might be better off spending a but more for a full size NVR.