HELP - Can't conect TPLINK extender to NVR Hikvision DS-7104NI-SL/W

marlam18

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! :peaceful:

I'm new in cctv world, and i feel lost because i have a little but huge problem with 2 cameras from 8 meters from the NVR and the signal is so poor that produce lags in video an audio (video freeze and audio lost).

The NVR is Wifi - Hikvision DS-7104NI-SL/W and 4 cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD2412F-IW and the range extender is TPLINK TL-WA850RE

After 1 month of testing, i verify audio lost and video freezes in 2 cameras , so that I decided to buy a repeater TPLINK WA850RE because i used to expand the signal for other routers for domestic internet clients. Unfortunately I find myself stuck in the same place and let my explain the steps for my headache:

(First of all, I want to tell that all the IP addresses are fixed in cameras, and NVR DHCP is disabled, same for the expander. Each circuit component has no IP conflicts)

1) I connect the extender with the same SSID and hide the SSID NVR, then the cameras are connected to the NVR and not the extender.:(
2) I connect the extender with the same SSID and NVR, but do not hide the SSID of the NVR, then the cameras are connected to the NVR and not the expander.:(
3) I connect the extender with a new SSID and config 2 cameras (that have a worse signal from the NVR) to this new SSID, then the cameras are disconnected from the NVR and I can not make them connect even though the extension is repeating signal NVR.:mad-new: (after this change, is how the cameras is out of the network, because i lost the conection even conected to the extender via network cable and making ping to them)

I'm really lost and need your help....

Thank you very much for your time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Because for the wires I have to break walls and run cables on the outside of the house
Hire a professional...they will run it in the wall. Low voltage cable runners know how to do this...you will struggle with the wifi forever...silly.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the lag in real-time view or recordings? If it's real-time view then no big deal. If it's recordings then lower the bit-rate to fix this.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Power Line Networking, it works for most people as long as your not trying to use it over extension cords :p

You need a solid reliable connection between the video source and the storage medium, and WiFi cannot provide that.. run wires, or you cant have a CCTV system.

marlam18

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the lag in real-time view or recordings? If it's real-time view then no big deal. If it's recordings then lower the bit-rate to fix this.
Its in both modes, in the real time i have freeze videos and in the recordings the problem exist.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its in both modes, in the real time i have freeze videos and in the recordings the problem exist.
If you insist on wifi then you have three solutions

1) Better camera with external antenna
2) Lower bitrate
3) Move the cameras or NVR

I have one wifi camera and no problems, doesn't mean I'd run a full system.

- - - Updated - - -

Power Line Networking, it works for most people as long as your not trying to use it over extension cords :p
Hahaha, true. England is also an old country, old buildings, old wiring. I think fine for one or two cameras but not for connecting NVR to your network.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
either way Power line networking will scale much farther than Wifi.. We have users here with 6-8 cameras running over powerline w/out problem, you'll never get that out of Wifi.. My sister would not let me pull cables throughout her house, so I set her up w/Powerline network to get her media boxes off the Wifi.. even streaming Netflix or Plex over the Wifi was crap shoot full of buffering and other issues.

only owners can pull cabling, so I get the desire to use Wifi to avoid permanent changes to the facility.. but in reality, if you have no options but to use Wifi.. then you should just give up on the idea of having a video surveillance system.. your just wasting your money to accomplish any level of security over wireless.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
X2 for Powerline. I can run at full resolution with a 4MP camera on mine. The connection light shows red but it has apparently more than enough bandwidth for one cam. Netgear Powerline 1200 from Amazon. X2 from me on not using Wifi too, was too slow even at 5Mhz.