HELP! Cant find DS-2CD2432F-IW after updating firmware to 5.4.41_170312

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been using a DS-2CD2432F-IW (sticker V5.3.0 150313) and decided to update to the firmware to 5.4.41_170312. The update said it had completed successfully and restarted the camera.

I can't connect to the camera anymore, and even after a factory reset still cant find it with SADP.

The camera lights seem to be on and everything appears be normal, but I can't find the camera on the network. Can someone help please? Did I brick the device?

This is driving me nuts!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't connect to the camera anymore, and even after a factory reset still cant find it with SADP.
If this was a CN camera, maybe with 'hacked to English' firmware, you may well have fallen foul of one of Hikvision's latest traps.
The camera flash holding the apps is erased before the incoming firmware is checked against the camera hardware parameters.
The result, if it doesn't like the match, is the kernel boots up but no apps run, so nothing shows in SADP.
But it has recorded the fact that a firmware version higher than 5.3.0 has been loaded.

Suggestion that may confirm this:
Power up the camera and leave it on.
Wait about 10-15 mins and see if it eventually appears in SADP with a 'min-system' status, firmware version 4.0.8
If so - and the app partitions were indeed erased, the inbuilt watchdog eventually reboots the camera into min-system mode after a long timeout waiting for davinci (the core app) to respond. Which it doesn't as the all the app and their startup files have been erased.

If that status is confirmed - I don't think there is an easy fix - yet.
The recovery partition that holds the 'min-system' files now has the 'prohibit downgrade' feature, and also now has the 'psh' protected shell that does not allow access to any useful commands to make changes / do fixups.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has explored this new trap put in users way.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, the camera has been on for hours, and unfortunately still does not appear in SADP.

Any other thoughts? Would TFTP work?

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice please? I don't really want to throw the camera away

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you've tried the Hikvision tftp updater with no success, the next step if you think it's worth the time and effort would be to connect to the device 'serial console' to see what's going on at a deeper level.
To do this you'd need a couple of physical items, search eBay or similar for them :
A PL2303HX-based USB to TTL serial convertor.
A wired 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector
And non-physically - some embedded Linux knowledge. Or a friend or contact with that ability.

Reaction score
If you've tried the Hikvision tftp updater with no success....
No I have not. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Where to download and instructions? Sorry to be a pain! I've never done this before. I don't want to stuff things up again and was hoping for a simple solution.

Last edited:

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No I have not. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Where to download and instructions? Sorry to be a pain! I've never done this before. I don't want to stuff things up again and was hoping for a simple solution.
I have the same exact camera and the same thing happened to me after trying to upgrade what I thought was a US/International camera from v5.3.0 to v5.4.5. As a last resort I tried this Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
and it fixed it. So for me it was the scenario @alastairstevenson mentioned upthread. Now that I have it up I can see it's got a "CH" in the serial number so it's a Chinese version. All the instructions are in the archive package and it's worth a shot. Make sure your networking is setup properly and both camera and PC are on a switch that isn't on your network.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the same exact camera and the same thing happened to me
Thanks msnow, though that solution didn't work for me. Tried both firmware's and on both occasions I was stuck on "Completed file..transmit" but it would never get to "Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!" even after 10 minute wait.

I tried pinging the camera and it would drop out after the "complete" status, so I downloaded the official (DS-2xx2_5.4.5) firmware from Hikvision and got to to the "Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!" status. Ping seemed to be okay as well, managed to get three pings after the system update completed before it dropped out again.

PC IP (v4) address was set to 192.0.0.128 and camera was plugged into switch, windows 10, all firewalls were disabled.

Any further thoughts?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks msnow, though that solution didn't work for me. Tried both firmware's and on both occasions I was stuck on "Completed file..transmit" but it would never get to "Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!" even after 10 minute wait.

I tried pinging the camera and it would drop out after the "complete" status, so I downloaded the official (DS-2xx2_5.4.5) firmware from Hikvision and got to to the "Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!" status. Ping seemed to be okay as well, managed to get three pings after the system update completed before it dropped out again.

PC IP (v4) address was set to 192.0.0.128 and camera was plugged into switch, windows 10, all firewalls were disabled.

Any further thoughts?
So your problem is that you can't see it in SADP right? Did you try to look for it when you put your PC back on your regular network? I wasn't able to see mine while I was on the 192.0.0.128 network either but when I reconnected everything and started up SADP it popped up with an IP of 0.0.0.0 which I immediately changed to what I wanted.

gav28uk

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you'll find this is terminal! Look back at my past thread where I did the same thing...ended up selling it for parts on eBay.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And I would have bought it but I was too late!
And your buyer sold it on.

I'm away just now, but someone helpfully sent me a camera with what may be the same problem for me to investigate. Fingers crossed I can find a solution.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
me too, I would have bid on it lol,

There is normally a way to recover

Fyood Porl

n3wb
Reaction score
An initial look suggests that Hikvision have added some extra code in the 5.4.0 and up firmware that disables normal working on CN region cameras.
Is there any update on this thread? I think I'm in the same boat. The camera never responds to ping requests and I'm using a PoE switch. HikVision's TFTP server never sees any activity. After a long period of time, the camera's IP becomes 192.168.1.64 but I cannot telnet into it either. So I guess this is a total brick situation.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess this is a total brick situation.
Nope - you are in luck - lots of ways to get rounds these Hikvision-inposed traps now :
Hikvision have implemented a 'downgrade block' to stop users fixing their cameras by installing older, working firmware.
You can, however, fix this, after quite a lot of reading, by using the 'brick-fix tool' from here : Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.
You'll be far from alone in doing this - there is a lot of it around.

Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

Fyood Porl

n3wb
Reaction score
There is zero TFTP handshake when the Hikvision TFTP server is set to 192.0.0.128. I've also tried 192.168.1.128 as well. The camera never connects to the TFTP. Doesn't the brick-fix tool require Hikvision TFTP to upload a *.dav file?