Help Choosing a Switch

ktide1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All!

First of all, thanks to all who contribute here. I've learned a lot so far.

I'm putting together a small home camera system. Starting with 3 cams (Dahua Starlight models) but will definitely grow larger. Doubt I'll ever add any PTZ cameras, but you never know. :)

I'm going to use a PC and Blue Iris to administer. Right now, I'm trying to decide on a switch. I've got my eye on a couple of particular models that I'll probably pick up used off Ebay. Here are the ones I'm considering (in no particular order):

1. Netgear GS724TPS ==> 24 gigabit ports, POE on all, POE+ on ports 1-4, 192W total POE budget
2. HP Procurve A5120-24G-POE+ (HP product number JG236A) ==> 24 gigabit ports, POE+ on all ports, 370W total POE budget

I'm leaning towards the HP due to the overall higher POE budget and POE+ availability on all ports. I can get either one for about the same cost, maybe slightly cheaper on the HP if I shop around hard enough. I prefer a decent web GUI for admin, as I won't be doing anything too complex (no layer 3 stuff most likely) and prefer not to fool with CLI, at least initially. Both switches have web-based GUI admin, but I have no experience with either.

So, anyone have any experience or input on either switch? Is one more reliable, easier to manage, etc? Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If all you have is 3 cameras and a little growth why do you want a 24 port switch. It will use more power.
Stick with a smaller switch netgear GS108PP.

look at

ktide1

n3wb
Reaction score
If all you have is 3 cameras and a little growth why do you want a 24 port switch. It will use more power.
Stick with a smaller switch netgear GS108PP.

look at
Thanks, I’ve looked at switch suggestion list extensively and I’m fully aware of the power consumption. I’ve got other reasons for a 24 port managed switch, so not really looking to debate why. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these switches and has any feedback. Thanks!

Netscan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the GS724TPS, you have to use an ancient version of Firefox to configure it, it's default VLAN requires a lot of CLI kung fu to get right (and reboots afterwards need a factory reset so plan on doing it all again). It's loud as all hell stock - I replaced all the fans in it with Noctua A4x10's (the 10 is very important, it will not spin up the 20's), spent as much on fans as I did the switch. Probably wouldn't buy again.

ktide1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the GS724TPS, you have to use an ancient version of Firefox to configure it, it's default VLAN requires a lot of CLI kung fu to get right (and reboots afterwards need a factory reset so plan on doing it all again). It's loud as all hell stock - I replaced all the fans in it with Noctua A4x10's (the 10 is very important, it will not spin up the 20's), spent as much on fans as I did the switch. Probably wouldn't buy again.
Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I welcome any other input anyone has on this switch or the HP 5120.

Thanks!