Help choosing between 2 cameras.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Both good cameras,

Depends what system you already have

If you have a dahua NVR go dahua
Hikvision NVR go hik.

I've no first hand experience with hikvision low light stuff but I do with dahua and it's great.

I do own hik cameras and hik NVR and not had a problem with them.

8tpg

n3wb
Reaction score
Both good cameras,

Depends what system you already have

If you have a dahua NVR go dahua
Hikvision NVR go hik.

I've no first hand experience with hikvision low light stuff but I do with dahua and it's great.

I do own hik cameras and hik NVR and not had a problem with them.
Thanks for the reply. I have a HikVision k series nvr and other HikVision cameras. Didn’t think it would be an issue using dahua cam on the HikVision nvr If I change the dahua ip address and set it up as onvif? It is setup over lan connected to ubiquity poe Smith.

The dahua is about 25% cheaper which is why I’m looking at it. I couldn’t really find much info on it although I did find Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal which seems to be the turret version of this camera.

Is the hikvision a lot better than the dahua for 25% more. Specs look similar but I’m not 100% that I’m not missing something.? Will the dahua work on the hikvision NVR with onvif?

Thanks again with the help.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have a HikVision k series nvr and other HikVision cameras. Didn’t think it would be an issue using dahua cam on the HikVision nvr If I change the dahua ip address and set it up as onvif? It is setup over lan connected to ubiquity poe Smith.

The dahua is about 25% cheaper which is why I’m looking at it. I couldn’t really find much info on it although I did find Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal which seems to be the turret version of this camera.

Is the hikvision a lot better than the dahua for 25% more. Specs look similar but I’m not 100% that I’m not missing something.? Will the dahua work on the hikvision NVR with onvif?

Thanks again with the help.
The camera won't be any better. In fact I actually think dahua starlights are just ahead of the Hikvision darkfighter models (in the similar price bracket at aimed at the same end user ie us).

That's just my opinion and I think I'm right to say it's shared amongst a lot of the members here.

Hikvision used to be too dog but a change in their selling strategy along with a price hike they seem to be playing catchup with dahua at the minute in this specific consumer space.

Maybe that will change maybe it won't,
Who knows what's next

The dahua will run fine on the hik NVR I do the same I have 6 dahua cameras 5x 5231R-ZE and 1 SD59225U-HNI PTZ
And 4 hikvision cameras, the older 2032 3mp cams.

The only thing is you have to run them as onvif cameras so you won't get the advanced features at NVR level as you would do with a matched NVR & Cam combo,

It doesn't bother me as I run nearly all 24/7 recording and only a couple on basic motion detection.

It the difference is 25% I'd say go for the dahua.
If the Hikvision was 25% cheaper than the dahua then I'd consider it.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 2nd one is HDCVI, not IP. Don't think this is what you want. You need a Dahua that starts with IPC not HAC.
Didn't even spot that when I looked I just clicked the link!

Yes you will need ip version

8tpg

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera won't be any better. In fact I actually think dahua starlights are just ahead of the Hikvision darkfighter models (in the similar price bracket at aimed at the same end user ie us).

That's just my opinion and I think I'm right to say it's shared amongst a lot of the members here.

Hikvision used to be too dog but a change in their selling strategy along with a price hike they seem to be playing catchup with dahua at the minute in this specific consumer space.

Maybe that will change maybe it won't,
Who knows what's next

The dahua will run fine on the hik NVR I do the same I have 6 dahua cameras 5x 5231R-ZE and 1 SD59225U-HNI PTZ
And 4 hikvision cameras, the older 2032 3mp cams.

The only thing is you have to run them as onvif cameras so you won't get the advanced features at NVR level as you would do with a matched NVR & Cam combo,

It doesn't bother me as I run nearly all 24/7 recording and only a couple on basic motion detection.

It the difference is 25% I'd say go for the dahua.
If the Hikvision was 25% cheaper than the dahua then I'd consider it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, leaning towards the dahua I think but will research a bit further and make a decision on Monday.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Youll not be disappointed with the dahua starlights.

I've not physically used the camera you linked to but generally they are all similar in regards picture quality