Help choosing right camera please !

steveibe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have spent hours on the web trying to figure things out on my own, there are just too many options!I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.
I want to stream live video to my website. I need a fixed outdoor camera, it will be mounted high under an eave, will never get wet,be in direct sunlight or get below freezing.
It will be 21 feet from an area 15 feet(or a little more, doesn't really mater)wide. I don't need night vision or motion detection.
I also don't need wifi, I have about a forty foot run of ethernet to location, it doesn't have to to be poe, but if there are no drawbacks to that, I guess why not ?
If I am not mistaken, if I don't want or need ptz, I will get a better picture with the proper fixed lense.
Any help choosing the right setup would be greatly appreciated !
Thank you in advance, Steve

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like a job for the ds-2cd2032-i bullet camera. Though there are some other styles that have mostly the same functionality for a similar price.

DS-2CD2032-I (bullet)

DS-2CD2332-I (turret)

DS-2CD2532F-IS with audio (if that is desired and legal to use in your area).

For the lens, the most common size is 4mm and that gives you about a 75 degree angle of view. You would probably be happy with that. All three models also have a 6mm lens option which would be a narrower view and possibly not wide enough anymore to see a 15 feet wide area from 21 feet away. Or with the turret and mini dome cameras there is a wider option, a 2.8mm lens.

You can buy them from any well-rated chinese seller on aliexpress if you want, though I seriously recommend spending a little extra to get it from a USA-based seller this month as it is the Chinese new year and that could seriously delay your shipment if it has to come from China. USA-based sellers can be found throughout this forum; there is the user milkisbad, the nelly's security shop, wrightwood surveillance, plus some amazon sellers.