help design my system

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hello all I am a NOOB my neighborhood is getting hit by daytime package thefts and night time car burglaries. Can someone help me put a camera package together. distance from front door to street 45 feet. have a 3 car driveway that is 20 long x 30 wide . lot frontage 75 feet wide. Do not need anything in backyard or interior of house.
My requirements

#1 min 4 camera system
#2 want ability to read license plates during daytime and nighttime (Will be hidden at the street facing parallel to street)
#3 have ability to hardwire all cameras (no wifi)
#4 at least 2 week storage( don't know if this is unrealistic
#5 oh yeah budget $1200-$1500.

thanks for any help i will post video when i catch these thieves!!!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 + Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
2. This requires a dedicated camera that wont see anything but plates at night, this one will read plates to ~45ft away: Dahua 4MP Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5421E-Z)
3. Of course everything is PoE
4. Easy as pie, I have 10 cameras online right now with a 4TB and 6TB recording continuously and i have 3 Weeks of storage.. Buy the biggest WD Purple you can afford, and later if you add more cameras and its no enough you add a 2nd... H265 Cameras save even more space than h264.
5. Should be entirely doable with what I just suggested.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks for all the info. follow up questions. where is the best place to purchase the cameras. i will need set up support included with purchase.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
follow up. I have charter communication as my internet provider. will this system work with their system. Does the package you recommended require a static ip address. a tech friend thought charter has dynamic IPs address am i way off base. also can this system be viewed on a cell phone in a limited reception area. thanks again for all your help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no static IP is required; and you can view lower resolution substreams on a slow mobile connection.

read the VPN Primer for Noobs for guidance on setting up remote access correctly.