Help for an IP camera newbie (Hikvision, Dahua or Reolink and other questions)

tantkomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this isn't the first thread like this, but after researching this for over a week I still feel lost in the sea of branded and rebranded cameras, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

After a lot of browsing on eBay and AliExpress I realized that I would probably end up with a Chinese market camera with hacked up firmware so it has English interface unless I go over 100$. From what I read the worst thing such cameras can do is phone home if left unchecked. I can go over that, though as sysadmin I am not comfortable with that.
My main concerns are how important are firmware updates in cameras and is the firmware anything to really stress over?

I am also on the fence over if I should go for a HikVision, Dahua or for a Reolink.
I know people here hate Reolink and I saw they are pretty crap in night vision and that their support is nonexistent. But for the usecase I am after that would probably still be okay.
Since I am not really in the mood of spending over a 100$ for a camera whose only purpose would be just to see who is at the door, would I be okay with Reolink or should I go for a Chinese hacked up Hikvision or Dahua?

There is one other thing that might be problematic that everyone says not to do. The camera would have to be pointed at a glass door, since the outside mount points would either have bad angles, or be within arm's reach.
So the camera would have to replace the generic Chinese analog camera that is currently mounted in front of the door. There is always either artificial lighting or daylight in the hallway, so lighting wouldn't be that big of an issue, hopefully that would make the job of the camera a bit easier.

Network wise I already tried Shinobi on an always online homeserver, so at least I got that part covered.
But camera wise I would appreciate any tips or guidance from more experienced members.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy a dahua Starlight turret for 100... however I urge you to buy the reolink, that way you will learn your lesson...if you want some to justify your decision to buy crap from a lying garbage company, you won't get it here.

tantkomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I expected a similar answer. But if I go with a Dahua would firmware be a major issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I expected a similar answer. But if I go with a Dahua would firmware be a major issue?
if you buy an international camera, NOT a china region hacked camera, it will be no problem.

techcanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's worth mentioning that a hacked Chinese camera with fake English firmware is most likely unreliable (not from my own experience but from what I've read). Who knows how they implemented the software, features may be buggy or not even work. That's why I went with the international version even though it was more than the fake ones