Help! -Hikvision 3mp ip Dome Cam- IR question?

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0484.JPG Please see my attached pictures. I just installed this Hikvision 3mp ip camera underneath the soffit of my house and it works great during the day, but I noticed last night that the IR lights up the right side of the picture, which is only the siding on my house. I need it to go straight out into the yard like the rest of my cameras do so I can see something on the ground. Why would it only light up the right side of the picture? I don't think I have an equipment issue, but at the same time I don't know what adjustments I can make to fix the issue. I can't twist the camera because the image goes side ways being it was mounted on an angle. I would appreciate it if someone who knows what they're talking about could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is that because almost 1/2 of the image that your camera sees is your siding, ... when the IR hits the siding at night, it makes the siding "bright". Your camera automatically adjusts for this brightness, which makes the rest of your yard too dark.

If you take the dome off of the camera (while its still mounted to your soffit), the lens itself should be able to be pointed up/down, as well as being rotated left/right 360'. You should be able to push the lens away from the house, to where there's no vinyl in the image. If the image is crooked after that, you should be able to "twist" the lens to straighten it back out.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to aim the camera so that no siding or as little as possible, is visible in the camera. What is happening is the IR coming from the camera is lighting up the siding and causing the camera lens to close, making the background dark.

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses... I can twist the camera to capture more of the yard to the left, but I cannot take the siding out entirely.Keep in mind I had to mount this on angle in the soffit. The problem with twisting it is that the image gets twisted when I try and capture more of the yard and I can't get the twist out of the image. I will try and make adjustments when I get home today and capture some more pictures to post.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You may need to twist the entire housing so that your Y axis allows you to swing the camera to the left, rather than up and down.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have to loosen the screws on the side, but you should be able to put your fingers similar to below and “twist” the lens to rotate it to level out the image.

3BB9D977-3841-4779-A58C-A0BD2D8928BC.jpeg

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be great if I can. I'm going to try and see if I can do this later today. Hopefully this will fix my issue. I'll re-post tomorrow after I try. Thanks!

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to make the adjustment on the lens to straighten out the picture just as you guys told me. I move the camera away from the house and it is working great now. I do have one more question maybe you could shed some light on for me... See the attached picture comparison of my back yard camera vs my side yard one that I just made the adjustments on. These cameras are the same exact models except the back yard is a 2.8 mm and the side yard is a 4mm. Both cameras images are set to standard and not customized at all. Why is the picture so much brighter on the back yard vs the side yard? They both are getting about the same light in the pictures. I even checked my other cameras on the other side of the house, which are all 2.8mm and their pictures are brighter too. Any idea? Thanks again for your time.IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0503.JPG

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the top 1/2 of your side yard image is sun, whereas your back yard image looks like mostly shade. The cameras themselves will auto-adjust (to a point) to give you the best image. For your side yard, if the camera didn't "darken" the image some, the top 1/2 with the sun may come across as blown out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typically, each camera needs to have the image settings adjusted based upon its location. Surroundings make a difference in each instance.
Rarely can you leave them at default settings and have the best performance from the cam.
Also, I'd adjust more of the siding out of the picture. No need to see it at all.

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 5 other camera surrounding the house mounted up in the soffits too. All of the cameras display the grass as the brighter green color throughout the day, even the ones on the complete opposite side of the house. The side yard camera is the only one that doesn't display same brighter green grass color. The only difference is the side yard camera is a 4mm and the others are all 2.8mm. I double checked yesterday afternoon and all of the cameras settings are set on default. I don't get it. I even played with the brightness option on the camera but it didn't get any better.

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
See examples pics taken 5 mins. ago to show what I'm talking about. Front Yard facing west. Driveway faces north. Back yard faces east. Side yard faces South east. IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have to play with your settings in the camera. I had a 3MP Hikvision dome on one side of my old house that was doing the same thing. Most of the capture was of my lawn and it showed the same dull way as this cam is for you. I had other Hikvision domes on the house facing other directions and they were like your other cams, nice and vibrant. When you start changing settings, remember that the most important shots are at night. go through your night shots and adjust the camera accordingly to get the best shots in the dark, then work backwards. Most cameras look great during the day.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but your Front Yard camera has areas of "not brighter green" grass around the part of the image where the sun is hitting it.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 7.45.04 AM.png

That section of grass from your Front Yard cam (above) doesn't look that much different from the Side Yard cam that you don't like (below). IMO, neither look as deep green as the pictures of grass you posted that were almost entirely in shade, like your back yard and driveway.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 7.45.13 AM.png

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
@bababouy I was able to login to my nvr via the ip address in my web browser, but for some reason when I type in my cameras ip address it doesn't take me to the login page. When I set the system up originally I literally just plugged in each camera to the back of the nvr and they started working. I never went in and changed any of the ip addresses to the cameras. Do I need to? This is all new to me.
@bigredfish I need to login to the camera directly to change this I believe, but I'm having an issue reaching the ip address.
@aristobrat In my opinion you can obviously see a distinct difference in the green in the grass between the two camera shots that you just re-posted. The side yard camera is the only one out of all my cameras that isn't as bright/vibrant colored.