Help! Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS and Synology NAS

dave666

n3wb
Reaction score
I've no idea whether this is a problem with the camera or the Disk Station or both... or just me, so I'll describe what I've tried in the hope someone can help me get at least one way working.

Thanks in advance.

Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS V5.2.5 build 141201
Synology DS211 with Surveillance Station (fully updated)

Camera itself connects and views fine. Static IP, everything on the same subnet.

Surveillance Station

Configured with closest model: DS-2CD2132-I (no F or S). "Test Connection" works OK, but only with port 80, which is the camera's HTTP port as default - tried Service port 8000 but Test Connection fails then. When test works, enabling the camera just sits there forever saying "Activating" with the spinner over the thumbnail. Tried with admin account and an Operator account. Tried ONVIF and PSIA, both hang a while then say The operation failed.

Push from camera to NFS

Configured both ends OK, Test button on camera Storage NAS tab says success. Trying to Format HDD gets to 31%, hangs a while, then says "Completed" briefly but remains "Uninitialized" with 0.00GB Free. Suggestions online about size of volume (2TB here), but can't do anything about that, and can't set a quota on the NFS share. On Disk Station, datadirs0-9 have been created, with empty files primed in the first one at least.

Push from camera to SMB/CIFS

Set quota of 200 GB on Disk Station account, which is correctly shown as HDD Capacity on camera. Format HDD gets to 46% then hangs forever - seen comments about it taking potentially hours to complete so left overnight but still no response. On Disk Station, datadirs0-2 had been created within the first 3 seconds.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Surveillance Station should work OK with both the Native model and ONVIF. Hikvision have a consistent command interface, so mix and match between models may just say 'model mismatch' but work OK anyway.
And SMB/CIFS should work OK as you seem to have applied a size limit successfully (datadirs0-2 is consistent with 200GB). The 'format' just takes a few minutes.
You can see that with NFS it's trying to get your whole volume!

Unless you can beg/borrow/steal another similar camera to test with, perhaps the seller has installed some flawed firmware.
If you can telnet/SSH into the camera, check what language number 'prtHardInfo' shows. 2=Chinese, 1=English/ML
And run this command, which will check the 'hardware descriptor block' in the firmware:
Code:
VAR=`dd if=/dev/mtd5ro skip=1620 bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null` ; if [ $VAR == $'\002' ]; then echo Chinese ; elif [ $VAR == $'\001' ]; then echo English ; else echo Unknown; fi
If they give different results, the camera has modified firmware which might just possibly be the cause of the problem you see.

*edit* And you could also check connecting SMB/CIFS to a share on your PC, if you create a user with write access to the shared folder. But the 200GB size limit still applies, so that won't work.

dave666

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your response.

I can't get my hands on another camera, but for what it's worth this one says it's Chinese firmware.

Interestingly, and I don't know why I didn't think to try this before, I got it to connect to a laptop that has a 220 GB drive, so comparable to what I was trying to do with the server, and that formatted successfully in a couple of minutes. Having said that, I can't get it to record onto it, but small steps.

Ideally I'd like to use the Surveillance Station so I'll play with some of the other models.

This might be a stupid question but the 5.2.5 firmware seems relatively new from what I can see - is it worth (safe) trying to downgrade it?