Help in choosing an app for my Samsung Galaxy

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need an app that will allow me to view my cam's remotely when on a road trip. I recall a couple years ago trying an app (can't recall the name of it) that 'sort of did the job' but had some issues when using anything other than when the phone was using my home wifi.
The issue was, if I recall correctly, was that when a cam froze, or dropped out, for any reason, I would have to completely remove (delete) the cam from the app and then add it back in to get the cam to be active and visible again. That was unacceptable. It got real old very fast. So I gave up on it.

Anyway, it's a couple years further down the road and I figure that there has to be better out there now.

I have Blue Iris on my PC at home. I see there's a mobile version of that. Will it do what I want to do (remote viewing on my phone) or are there others that will get the job done more betterrrr?

Thanks
Bob T.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need an app that will allow me to view my cam's remotely when on a road trip. I recall a couple years ago trying an app (can't recall the name of it) that 'sort of did the job' but had some issues when using anything other than when the phone was using my home wifi.
The issue was, if I recall correctly, was that when a cam froze, or dropped out, for any reason, I would have to completely remove (delete) the cam from the app and then add it back in to get the cam to be active and visible again. That was unacceptable. It got real old very fast. So I gave up on it.

Anyway, it's a couple years further down the road and I figure that there has to be better out there now.

I have Blue Iris on my PC at home. I see there's a mobile version of that. Will it do what I want to do (remote viewing on my phone) or are there others that will get the job done more betterrrr?

Thanks
Bob T.
If you have blue iris the best option is to use the Blue Iris mobile app it is 9.99 in the App Store make sure you select the correct one sold by perspective software.. the other cheaper ones are not developed by the blue iris developer and are terrible

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have blue iris the best option is to use the Blue Iris mobile app it is 9.99 in the App Store make sure you select the correct one sold by perspective software.. the other cheaper ones are not developed by the blue iris developer and are terrible
Thanks. I went to the store and paid the 9.99 and I think after paying it said 'downloaded' but I can't find the app on my phone. I went to paypal and it shows the payment to 'perspective software'.
I'm relatively new to Android so I haven't installed many apps (I used Apple Iphone before).
Should I see the app right after paying for it or does it take some time to download?
If It should be there, is there a way to download it without a second charge?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I went to the store and paid the 9.99 and I think after paying it said 'downloaded' but I can't find the app on my phone. I went to paypal and it shows the payment to 'perspective software'.
I'm relatively new to Android so I haven't installed many apps (I used Apple Iphone before).
Should I see the app right after paying for it or does it take some time to download?
If It should be there, is there a way to download it without a second charge?
it should be in the apps drawer..its seems that samsung removed it
How to enable the app drawer button on Samsung Galaxy S8
you never have to pay for apps twice..its tied to your gmail account...you can have 10 devices that use the same account and only have to pay for it once, just like apple...
for your next phone, look at google pixel...you will get pure android and proper monthly security updates as well as new android versions as soon as they are released.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 'apps' button. I've looked everywhere on the phone, including the settings/application manager, and I see nothing that says 'blue iris'. I assume that's what I'm looking for, right? I assume this is a client for port forwarding to the phone?

I also tried to download it a second time but it says that it's already installed....

WAIT ONE.....I took a different path to the download. This time it gave me a highlighted DOWNLOAD button. Although it kept telling me it was installed it was not. I got it now!

Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the 'apps' button. I've looked everywhere on the phone, including the settings/application manager, and I see nothing that says 'blue iris'. I assume that's what I'm looking for, right? I assume this is a client for port forwarding to the phone?

I also tried to download it a second time but it says that it's already installed....
its installed, you are not looking in the right place...yes it is called blue iris..
it is a client app, how you connect is irrelevant...i would suggest vpn for security..port forwarding will work.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See my edit above....No, it was not installed. The first time I purchased it I went via a Google search and clicked a link to "app store" android. From there I purchased the app and paid for it. It had a status of 'installed' shown and there was a progress bar that was showing activity so I assumed it was downloaded. It did not....
When I revisited the app store through the 'Play Store' it showed a status of paid and had the download button highlighted. I downloaded from there.
Alls good now....

Last edited:

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I'm impressed. This is much better than the app I had installed 3 years ago. I have yet to explore the push option, if any, to receive alerts but the monitoring of the cams via the internet without wifi and via 4g is much more reliable than via the old app I had....I'll look for and install any 'push' options later tonight.

Thanks
Bob T.