Help Installing Cameras Outside

Saad2605

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys. First timer to this forum so please let me know if I am missing any information that is needed.

I am trying to install a security system at my business. I like to get hands on with things that I do and am installing this myself. My question is if I am mounting camera's outside should I use a junction box regardless. The wires will not be coming outside and will stay within the walls. The cameras that I have are the LKB343B bullets, and LKE343 Dome from Lorex. I've been reading that its better not to use dome cameras outside for several reasons so will probably be sticking with the bullet camera. Does anyone have any tips or extra guidance that they could provide. I'm definitely an amateur as far as this goes, but don't mind the learning opportunity.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks and looking forward to learning some things from this forum!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On Dahua, you would need to drill a 3/4-1” hole to fit the pigtail through the wall. Hit the link in my signature for some great info in the “Cliff Notes”.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello guys. First timer to this forum so please let me know if I am missing any information that is needed.

I am trying to install a security system at my business. I like to get hands on with things that I do and am installing this myself. My question is if I am mounting camera's outside should I use a junction box regardless. The wires will not be coming outside and will stay within the walls. The cameras that I have are the LKB343B bullets, and LKE343 Dome from Lorex. I've been reading that its better not to use dome cameras outside for several reasons so will probably be sticking with the bullet camera. Does anyone have any tips or extra guidance that they could provide. I'm definitely an amateur as far as this goes, but don't mind the learning opportunity.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks and looking forward to learning some things from this forum!
Welcome Saad,

Definitely check out the links giomania has pointed out. They represent the notes we've have been taking to some great knowledge being shared here.

That particular "dome" camera from Lorex really is what we'd call a eyeball or turret camera - and thus the issues associated with dome cameras we discuss here do not apply.
Lorex for some reason likes to call them dome cameras even though they really are not. ( guess it is their way to save users from themselves who insist on using dome cameras outdoors? )

After using junction boxes / wall mounts I have become a BIG fan of them, especially the ones like the PFA121 and PFA130E which allows a great sealed end result.

If you can stuff the connectors back into the wall / soffit readily without damaging them and finish up with a good weather proof installation - then I would recommend going either way.

Saad2605

n3wb
Reaction score
On Dahua, you would need to drill a 3/4-1” hole to fit the pigtail through the wall. Hit the link in my signature for some great info in the “Cliff Notes”.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Saad,

Definitely check out the links giomania has pointed out. They represent the notes we've have been taking to some great knowledge being shared here.

That particular "dome" camera from Lorex really is what we'd call a eyeball or turret camera - and thus the issues associated with dome cameras we discuss here do not apply.
Lorex for some reason likes to call them dome cameras even though they really are not. ( guess it is their way to save users from themselves who insist on using dome cameras outdoors? )

After using junction boxes / wall mounts I have become a BIG fan of them, especially the ones like the PFA121 and PFA130E which allows a great sealed end result.

If you can stuff the connectors back into the wall / soffit readily without damaging them and finish up with a good weather proof installation - then I would recommend going either way.
Yeah I'm most likely going to drill the 1" hole in the wall for the pig tail and seal it. Okay that makes more sense. I've used dome cameras before so I had a feeling that this one wouldn't have issues since it doesn't have the additional cover.

So between the eyeball/turret and bullet is there any preference to which one should be mounted outside.

Also these are rated IP66 so is there anything I have to do additional to mount this outside or just make sure that the install is sealed as far as wiring is concerned and I should be okay?

Appreciate the help guys!