HELP .. IP camera set up without internet

Andyff

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.

I'm a trainer and sometimes use 2 classrooms side by side.
I want to use a wireless ip camera to see and hear what is happening with my delegates in exercises in the adjacent room using the camera , a wifi router and my laptop.
The problem is I rarely have Internet so i just want to use the router to connect the camera and the laptop.
I know it's possible cause I've done with it my smart phone connected .... using an app on my phone called "IP camera" and no Internet. Just both connected to the WiFi router .... the app gave me a local IP address on the phones display to put into a Web browser on my laptop and hey presto I could see and hear everything. Easy peesey.

But now I want to use a proper IP Camera .... but all the ones I've seen say connect through the Internet.
Also I wouldn't know how to find the local IP address of the camera.
Can anyone help with this ..... with out too much techy computer jargon.
Thanks
Andy

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A network is a network regardless if it's connected to the world wide web or not.

Set everything up the way you would if you were doing it at home with internet....

Either the ip camera should be configured to get an ip address from the router (DCHP) or come with a standard set address (like all Dahua cams come preset with 192.168.1.108 and you must change each one if your using more than one)

You should be able to find it by logging into the administration page of the router.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or download Fing on your phone to search for the camera while both are connected to the wifi router