help me pick a camera please

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
I am planning to mount this for my driveway Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM or IP4M-1055E
first one is more of turret and second camera is more of a dome shape

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning to mount this for my driveway Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM or IP4M-1055E
first one is more of turret and second camera is more of a dome shape
Welcome @dudmleh522

Check the sensor size, lux rating in the specs and share them here.

Also check the threads for issues with dome models outdoors. Go for the turret version ( sort of dome shaped, but not a dome ) instead of the dome models.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd stay away from those two. Given their price they're probably a 1/3" sensor which will not perform well at all at night despite what their "IR" spec is. Minimum standard today is 1/2.7" for a 2MP and 1/1.8" for a 4MP. Generally resolutions over 4MP do not produce decent/good images at a price under $500USD or more. Don't fall into the megpixel trap, it's very deep and filled with frustration and wasted money. Read the Cliff Notes in the WiKi before wasting your money.

Reaction score
IP5M-T1179EW-28MM, Sensor 1/2.7 5Megapixel progressive CMOS and 0.008 Lux @ F1.6

IP4M-1055E Sensor 1/3” 4Megapixel progressive CMOS,
0.08Lux/F2.0( Color,1/3s,30IRE) 0.3Lux/F2.0( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F2.0(IR on)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're chasing megapixels and that leads to terrible low light performance. It that camera, IP%M-T1yadayada were a 2MP it would be great. At 5MP it'll be crappy at night, IR or not. The other one is a 1/3 sensor and out of the Dark Ages of cameras.

Stick to a 2MP with a 1/2.8 or 1/2.7 sensor and you'll be happy, not disappointed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to insult anyone, IPCT or Nelly's, but how is it extreme low light when it has an LED floodlight system? Adding enough white light isn't actually low light performance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not to insult anyone, IPCT or Nelly's, but how is it extreme low light when it has an LED floodlight system? Adding enough white light isn't actually low light performance.
Good question @sebastiantombs

I believe the answer to this is that older cameras still had to go into IR B&W mode with even low levels of white light as the sensors were not adequate enough to maintain color mode even with something like these LED lights.

These newer low light cameras can now, with this limited amount of white light keep themselves in color mode. So yes an improvement.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I ask again, how does adding a white light source make it a better low light solution? Adding the needed white light eliminates the low light situation in the first place. Granted, sensors have come a long, long, way and this particular camera may have a reasonable response in low light, but it still seems to need the added white light to perform really well under low light, otherwise why include a white light source onboard?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ask again, how does adding a white light source make it a better low light solution? Adding the needed white light eliminates the low light situation in the first place. Granted, sensors have come a long, long, way and this particular camera may have a reasonable response in low light, but it still seems to need the added white light to perform really well under low light, otherwise why include a white light source onboard?
Because in some positions / locations you need extra light to keep the camera in color mode.

If you don't want color mode you go with the IR led version.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, calling it extreme low light is a marketing "stretch" to me. If you added a PIR floodlight to a cheap Reolink you could also call that extreme low light. It's all in the definition of extreme and low I guess.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing beats white light.

That said, the camera, and others like it, do better than others in low light situations becasue they have a bigger sensor. So yes, it is a good low light camera even without the white LED's on.

Adjectives are marketing agreed.

Reaction score
I didn't notice that there were no red lights on that model. I looked up the specs but it doesn't list if it's sensitive to 850 or 940 mm wavelength IR light. Most are good with 850. Is that the trend for newer gear?

Reaction score
If they have IR, 99% are 850nm yes
And the model I quoted above only has white light. Think it would still be responsive to an IR flood? I don't really want white light emanating from my cameras all night as some are near bedrooms. I'd disable the light but would love IR