Help me solve the mystery of the magic black box!

Reaction score
Greetings!
My wife and I just bought a house. The previous owners had a small business thus had installed some security sensors along with a few cameras.
The previous owner used SmartPSS (a windows program to access the cameras through a magic black box in our garage. I call it magic because I know nothing about it. It might be a Dahua DVR (based on info inside SmartPSS) – but I’m not sure. There is no name, number or anything. See pictures (sorry about the bad quality). All cameras are wired into the magic black box, so they don’t have individual IP addresses.

Here comes my problem.

I don’t have a windows server running in my house. However, I do have a Synology server DS218+. It has an application called surveillance center, which solves all my needs. (schedule alarms, events, record 24/7 etc.).
Unfortunately, I can’t see the cameras from the Synology platform. It searches for feeds on an IP address, but when I provide the IP from the black box, it returns empty.
As I don’t know anything about the magic black box, I can’t confirm if it works together with my Synology server. So my options as I see them:
  • Could it be a firewall issue? I would say no, as both server and black box is wired to the home network.
  • Get a new magic box, which is supported by Synology.
  • Run a virtual machine on my Synology, which then runs Smart PSS
  • Get a windows server running – which is stupid as I already have a Synology.

Do any of you have an idea to point me in a direction. Any input is greatly appreciated

Regards
Peter

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Would be helpful if we could see the back of the magic black box where the magic cables connect to it, but it looks to be a Dahua DVR. Most likely analog (HDCVI) cameras

If I’m correct the cameras aren’t IP based and won’t have individual IP addresses. All decoding is done by the magic box.

I have no experience with Synology but perhaps someone else can help from there.

Dahua makes a wide range of analog HDCVI cameras if you should decide to stay with that. Some are very good and rival IP cameras. However most will advise you to start over with IP cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings!
My wife and I just bought a house. The previous owners had a small business thus had installed some security sensors along with a few cameras.
The previous owner used SmartPSS (a windows program to access the cameras through a magic black box in our garage. I call it magic because I know nothing about it. It might be a Dahua DVR (based on info inside SmartPSS) – but I’m not sure. There is no name, number or anything. See pictures (sorry about the bad quality). All cameras are wired into the magic black box, so they don’t have individual IP addresses.

Here comes my problem.

I don’t have a windows server running in my house. However, I do have a Synology server DS218+. It has an application called surveillance center, which solves all my needs. (schedule alarms, events, record 24/7 etc.).
Unfortunately, I can’t see the cameras from the Synology platform. It searches for feeds on an IP address, but when I provide the IP from the black box, it returns empty.
As I don’t know anything about the magic black box, I can’t confirm if it works together with my Synology server. So my options as I see them:
  • Could it be a firewall issue? I would say no, as both server and black box is wired to the home network.
  • Get a new magic box, which is supported by Synology.
  • Run a virtual machine on my Synology, which then runs Smart PSS
  • Get a windows server running – which is stupid as I already have a Synology.

Do any of you have an idea to point me in a direction. Any input is greatly appreciated

Regards
Peter
Do you have the user / password to the magic box?

The Magic box clearly looks like a DVR, and from the software he used - SmartPSS, I would expect it to be a Dahua OEM DVR.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I got a ladder and was able to produce a few pictures in better quality.

@mat200: I can attach a hdmi cabel to the black box, which gives me a 3x3 picture of the camera feeds. I might have the user / password but I'm not sure where I can log in. If I run to the localhost address I just get a blank screen. My network can clearly see the device - but it does not provide an login API. See picture
1594881620888.png

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Clearly an analog DVR and as mentioned very likely Dahua.

Assuming the local network is 192.168.0.x and youre on that network, try using IE to hit that page.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is (typically) a serial number and model number somewhere on that box. I'm guessing you don't have enough slack in the cables to pull it out an look? It looks like its super close to the ceiling so its difficult to look on the bottom

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah based on the error message in your javascript console, the DVR is most likely expecting to be accessed through Internet Explorer. You may even need to use IE's dev tools to choose IE 7 or 8 compatibility mode. And a plugin will need to be installed. HOPEFULLY the DVR gives you that plugin when you connect to it with IE.

I'd avoid paying synology money for camera licenses. Get a cheap used windows workstation from ebay (Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris has some good search links) and you can run smartPSS on it, and perhaps later Blue Iris.

Reaction score
#Update! - Partly success!

I tried to use Internet Explorer (not edge) and was promted by a script. It was denied due to security reasons, but with the help of Google, I managed to disable script security, and run it.
I was presented with a login screen - and with brute force (2 tries) did it accept me.

I now know the following:
1594982503112.png

There is a config menu:
1594982552607.png

Now the next problem. For instance - I can see that the HDD is full:
1594982622803.png

That doesn't sound so healthy.

Where do I find a manual for this API. I tried to search on the S/N number, but didn't find anything useful. I tried to search for dahua web api, but that doesn't resemble my own interface.

Does anyone have a great idea how I can find a manual for this web service? Can any of you point me in a direction?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Some NVRs initialise and then take over the entire disk, so it reporting that there is no feee space might be ok.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you saying that Config menu is a snapshot from the IE browser interface of the DVR?

Show us a pic of the screen you get once logged in via IE

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you probaly won't get much info the way your logging in using a web browser .i have one the same as you . mine is a older dahua dvr the web browsers gives the same info your seeing . you really need to plug the dvr into either a tv or monitor and use the same login details to get to the dvr menu properly. if its a dahua the username and password maybe one of these if the one you have does not work. other details might be on the bottom of the dvr,
admin...admin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I ordered a few new cables which should enable me to hook up a monitor + keyboard to the box.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
do you have cameras already connected to the dvr if yes what is the picture like. is it 1020p or 720p.