Help me understand lux rating

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry if this was previously asked.
When I look at spec like this what I am understanding is:

Spec from Dahua PTZ camera
Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6

The camera is able to produce a usable color image at that exposure with at least 0.05L of light. Any less light and it will go in BW or turn on IR light etc.

Is this corrects?

Hikvision cameras have some thing like
0.01 @f1.6 AGC ON

My understanding is the same howevee this camera is using gain control to bringten the image. (Belive this us from one of their low light series hence the AGC)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was previously asked.
When I look at spec like this what I am understanding is:

Spec from Dahua PTZ camera
Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6

The camera is able to produce a usable color image at that exposure with at least 0.05L of light. Any less light and it will go in BW or turn on IR light etc.

Is this corrects?

Hikvision cameras have some thing like
0.01 @f1.6 AGC ON

My understanding is the same howevee this camera is using gain control to bringten the image. (Belive this us from one of their low light series hence the AGC)
you cannot compare lux ratings between manufactures, and no it does not mean you have a usable image at that lux, you wont.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, yes I was aware that I can't compare.

In my search for simple easy to understand explanation I found this link.
Don't Trust Lux Ratings

I was incorrect in saying usable image. The rating just implies some sort of image.
@fenderman other than from experience I guess it comes down to sensor size then for low light conditions

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I know just enough to be dangerous, but I believe generally speaking the lower both numbers the better low light performance

So .01 lux is not nearly as good as .001
Dahua seems to start calling them 'Starlights" at .009

So for example .006 @ F1.4 for the 5231 or 2231 Turrets is much better than say .01@ F1.4 for the Lite series 2221 turret

And the F number works the same.
0.001Lux/F1.2 for the 8232 box camera is awesome low light performance, but in theory the 0.001Lux/F1.0 of the Full color 4239T-ASE is even better.