Help me understand storage / space issue

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi. I thought the way I have BI configured it should be using only 3.5 TB on my D: drive. It is using over 4TB. Can anybody help me understand why? I have the "New" folder set to store on the C: drive (ssd) and all stored and alerts on the D: drive. I just occured to me.... should I have the "Alerts" folder on the C: drive since that's the most accessed clips?

The only cams that do not store in the "New" folder are the LPR's. I have them set to go directly to "Stored" so that they aren't continually burning on the SSD since they record continuously.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The alerts folder does not store clips...it stores images only when you select "store alerts as high res files" thought that is generally as waste and not needed....alerts are simply pointers to locations in clips...
as far as the blue iris folder on the D drive, make sure there are no other subfolders aside from new and stored ...also ensure there are no older files that have not been deleted..you can try rebuilding the database..

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The alerts folder does not store clips...it stores images only when you select "store alerts as high res files" thought that is generally as waste and not needed....alerts are simply pointers to locations in clips...
as far as the blue iris folder on the D drive, make sure there are no other subfolders aside from new and stored ...also ensure there are no older files that have not been deleted..you can try rebuilding the database..
Ok. Tried rebuilding DB. Will check in on it tomorrow. Thanks

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bump... This issue is still happening. My server is using 5.93 TB of storage in my "Stored" folder which is on my D drive. It is set to only use 3 TB and then delete. What is going on?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bump... This issue is still happening. My server is using 5.93 TB of storage in my "Stored" folder which is on my D drive. It is set to only use 3 TB and then delete. What is going on?
Delete the DB folder and restart

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did that today and "repaired DB". It took forever scanning and now is back up. No change. What in the world is going on? This is really making me nervous. What is BI deleting to make room? I hope its not deleting any of my other files on the PC. How can I have a negative storage amount lol.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did that today and "repaired DB". It took forever scanning and now is back up. No change. What in the world is going on? This is really making me nervous. What is BI deleting to make room? I hope its not deleting any of my other files on the PC. How can I have a negative storage amount lol.
why would you think blue iris is deleting other unrelated files? it cant.
Use a dedicated machine for blue iris. I cannot stress this enough.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you now have an over allocation error...not sure what parameters you changed.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
why would you think blue iris is deleting other unrelated files? it cant.
Use a dedicated machine for blue iris. I cannot stress this enough.
This is a dedicated machine. It sits headless 14' in the air and has 2 functions. BI and windows backups. That's it. Sorry I can't see building another machine just to do 2 windows backups. Sorry but I don't understand how drive firmware works. What happens when you keep writing to a drive that is full? What gets overwritten?

Am I the only one that has had this problem?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated machine. It sits headless 14' in the air and has 2 functions. BI and windows backups. That's it. Sorry I can't see building another machine just to do 2 windows backups. Sorry but I don't understand how drive firmware works. What happens when you keep writing to a drive that is full? What gets overwritten?

Am I the only one that has had this problem?

you have this problem because you are setting something incorrectly. Now you have again changed your settings.
nothing to do is not a problem. Its informative.
Nothing gets overwritten. Blue iris only deletes files in your folders you setup in blue iris.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you now have an over allocation error...not sure what parameters you changed.
I have tried all kinds of stuff. I edited the windows security settings for all drives / folders concerning BI to allow all users full control. Thought maybe there was a permissions issue. I manually went in and deleted some stuff to try to gain some space. I deleted the DB folder as you suggested and rebooted. I have "repaired DB" more than once. Really at my wits end.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you have this problem because you are setting something incorrectly. Now you have again changed your settings.
nothing to do is not a problem. Its informative.
Nothing gets overwritten. Blue iris only deletes files in your folders you setup in blue iris.
That's why I have included pictures of what I thought was relevant settings. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. If I'm not showing you a relevant setting please ask for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I have included pictures of what I thought was relevant settings. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. If I'm not showing you a relevant setting please ask for it.

yes but now your images show an over allocation error...so post again, your settings for EACH AND EVERY FOLDER.
Also, what exact version of blue iris are you running.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes but now your images show an over allocation error...so post again, your settings for EACH AND EVERY FOLDER.
Also, what exact version of blue iris are you running.
I am using 4.7.3.2 x64
Just realized I should have emailed support a long time ago. I had support but it expires tomorrow. I will gladly pay to extend it another year if I have to.

PS. Odd...tapatalk makes my images unread-ably bury. But they are fine in a browser on a PC

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using 4.7.3.2 x64
Just realized I should have emailed support a long time ago. I had support but it expires tomorrow. I will gladly pay to extend it another year if I have to.

PS. Odd...tapatalk makes my images unread-ably bury. But they are fine in a browser on a PC
check all aux folders.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On my way home I stopped by my other BI installation at my church. Here are its settings and it's working correctly and managing space correctly. The biggest difference I see is that the stores folder dumps right in the root directory of Blue Iris on the D drive. It is not D\Blue Iris\Stored. It's just D\Blue Iris

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any more help guys? Why does BI think there is only 1.5G of 150 used of allocated C drive space when clearly there is almost 200GB used?