Help needed on fitting new cameras

Winston p

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all first post here so go steady on me and I don't know much about cameras so need all the help I can get

have recently installed a new HIK NVR and put to POE cameras on the system after making my one RJ45 cables. All fine a works a treat.

Have now bought a couple more POE cameras to add the system and after plugging them in I cant seem to get any picture from them at all

On the back of the NVR the green and orange lights are on but not flashing like to other two that are working.

Any ideas of help would be greatly received

thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
1 - Make sure you test the cables you make for proper continuity and pin out, 568B standard.
2 - Test the cameras using a short cable inside before you place them in their final locations.
3 - You don't mention any brands, or models for the NVR or cameras.
4 - NVRs work best with cameras from the same manufacturer. Some cameras, even if ONVIF compliant and PoE won't work with some NVRs.
5 - Read the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of every page, and study, carefully, the Cliff Notes that are in there.
6 - See number 5

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some manufactures block there own cameras from working with their NVRs. For example the NVR is an international version, but the cameras are chinese cameras from the same manufacture , they my not work.

I strongly recommend that as a beginner you purchase all the cameras and NVR from the same manufacturer and vendor.

Also always test and setup the cameras using a premade store purchased cable.
Once a camera is set up on a port on the nvr DO NOT CHANGE the cameras port on the NVR. Some NVR configures the camera to be on a specific port, if the camera changes ports it will not work.

Winston p

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I have moved camera next the NVR and have them currently connect via the pre made cables that it came with just to rule out any problems with the cable that i made.

the NVR i have is NVR-208MH-C/8P

the camera that i have already on the system are H veiw and a SVC3

the new one that i want to connect are a amcrest and reolink

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink is notorious for not connecting to anything other than Reolink apps and NVRs. Reolink is junk and, if you can, I'd suggest returning it. SV3C is one step above Reolink and not a very good camera, either although they are more ONVIF compliant and can connect to Blue Iris running on a PC. Again, if you can return it, do so. I know from personal experience. Please, PLEASE, read the WiKi and STUDY the Cliff Notes before spending more money and adding to your own frustration.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Then I would say that your NVR won't work with those two camera models. Again, NVRs should be connected to the same brand of cameras to: A - have them work in the first place, and B - be able to use all of the features available for both the camera and NVR.