Help needed! Recording outages with Dahua NVR

194529Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, I installed a Dahua NVR with a couple of cameras a few weeks ago and have noticed the recording seems to stop from time to time, and then it continues normally (I have configured ongoing recording for each channel, on the built-in 2TB HD). It is happening with both channels, and at different times and duration for each channel. The outages can be as small as a few seconds, and other last for a good couple of hours. I haven’t been able to find a pattern at all.

Example of recording timeline:

162131.jpg

I do have configured some IVS Tripwire alarms, with email alerts, nothing I would consider too heavy for the NVR, but who knows….

In the system log I can see a good number of the following events: IPC Offline Alarm, remote Info, Tripwire. But I don’t really know what the first two mean, nor I can’t see a direct relationship with the timing of the recording outages….

My system information:
Device Type:DHI-NVR4104-P-4KS2
Web Version:3.2.3.98477
Onvif Version:2.4.1
System Version:3.216.0000000.0, Build Date: 2018-06-05

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you in advance

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How are the cameras and NVR connected to the network?
Did you terminate the cables yourself?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check the "schedule" area of the recording menu. It could be that the NVR is not actually set to record 24/7, but in response to motion triggers.

Cheers, Steve

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, I installed a Dahua NVR with a couple of cameras a few weeks ago and have noticed the recording seems to stop from time to time, and then it continues normally (I have configured ongoing recording for each channel, on the built-in 2TB HD). It is happening with both channels, and at different times and duration for each channel. The outages can be as small as a few seconds, and other last for a good couple of hours. I haven’t been able to find a pattern at all.

Example of recording timeline:

View attachment 47394

I do have configured some IVS Tripwire alarms, with email alerts, nothing I would consider too heavy for the NVR, but who knows….

In the system log I can see a good number of the following events: IPC Offline Alarm, remote Info, Tripwire. But I don’t really know what the first two mean, nor I can’t see a direct relationship with the timing of the recording outages….

My system information:
Device Type:DHI-NVR4104-P-4KS2
Web Version:3.2.3.98477
Onvif Version:2.4.1
System Version:3.216.0000000.0, Build Date: 2018-06-05

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you in advance
Mate did you end up finding a solution to your problem? I have the exact problem and not sure what is causing it.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@gengar
Set up Schedule like this.

To fill in what @bigredfish is saying you should do it like this.
These pictures are from the NVR.

In the Record Schedule you need to include Intelligent (IVS-rules), this is by default off.

View attachment 112585

Schedule for Snapshot.
I saw in your settings above that you had enabled Snapshot in the Record mode. If you still have the default General schedule, it will save a snapshot every 1-6 seconds no matter motion or not, and you probably don't want that. Instead use this schedule.

View attachment 112586

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, good.

Share a screenshot of your playback field. Is it like for the original poster or do you see the gaps when there is motion?

Can you watch the cameras with Main Stream, all at the same time? I'm thinking if the problem is network related.
I've had thiat problem myself when a switch died and the cameras used a wireless link instead of the priminary wired connection, the wireless link couldn't handle the data stream.

Edit: further I've set up my NVR and cameras for a reboot every night , that solves a lot of weird unexplainable behaviours.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for helping!

Mine is pretty random as you can see in the attached. From about 815am to 10am all cameras are offline and then Cam 3 is off again from 2220 to 2300. I have also attached the log files for the period from 815am to 10am. As you can see they are all "remote info" and when i click on them it says "network disconnected", "user logout" etc.

I can only watch 2 main stream at the same time. Any more and it comes up with over decode error. Also I have setup a daily reboot at noon which has definitely helped.

I actually asked this in my other post but is there a way for an alert to be pushed out to my phone via DMSS whenever of the cameras go offline? I can do IVS and motion detect but couldn't find anything about cameras going offline. Lastly is there a way for me to reboot the NVR via DMSS rather than logging in to the NVR? I don't know why but sometimes when i try to login to NVR via browser it times out.

Btw here is my setup:

My setup is four DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV-0280B-3 connected to a NVR DHI NVR4104HS-p-4KS2. The NVR is connected to my router. Note sure if this is an issue but my router handles the IP addresses and I have given the NVR an IP of 192.168.1.202. The NVR in turn handles the IP of the 4 cameras (10.1.1.65 to 10.1.1.68). I use the DMSS app via p2p.Screenshot 2021-12-20 092935.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-20 093005.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-20 093037.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-20 093356.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-20 093422.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It could be the camera(s) rebooting. The first thing that comes to my mind is if the POE switch overloading and shutting down a port, but that's just a shot in the dark. The cameras draw more power when starting up than when running steadily, so one overload could set up a domino effect of more overloads. In theory the camera log would help, I say in theory because some of my cameras don't log some events.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This would allow sending of an email to alert you that cameras are offline

View attachment 112805
Thanks. My tabs are a bit different to yours. I have "Cam offline" which is presume is the same thing? Anyway I enabled and ticked the box but now I am getting these CAM offline emails even though the cams are still online. Is there something I am missing?

1639977469839.png

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It could be the camera(s) rebooting. The first thing that comes to my mind is if the POE switch overloading and shutting down a port, but that's just a shot in the dark. The cameras draw more power when starting up than when running steadily, so one overload could set up a domino effect of more overloads. In theory the camera log would help, I say in theory because some of my cameras don't log some events.
Might be a dumb question but how do i login to the cameras? So far I have only logged into the NVR to do my settings. Also should the cams IP address be handled by my router rather than the NVR? At the moment the NVR dishes out the IP addresses to the cams (10.1.1.65 to 10.1.1.68) while the IPs my router dishes out are 192.168.1.xxx

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Messages could be because your cam is experiencing a connect problem. Maybe cable connection?

That’s correct. Your NVR has a built in PoE switch that assigns cameras to that 10.1.1.x subnet. This is a good thing. Your cameras can not be accessed by bad guys remotely.

Accessing camera interface is done via the NVR camera registration page. See this thread bullet #5

You should get in a habit of making all changes on the cameras not the NVR. Read that thread.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Messages could be because your cam is experiencing a connect problem. Maybe cable connection?

That’s correct. Your NVR has a built in PoE switch that assigns cameras to that 10.1.1.x subnet. This is a good thing. Your cameras can not be accessed by bad guys remotely.

Accessing camera interface is done via the NVR camera registration page. See this thread bullet #5

You should get in a habit of making all changes on the cameras not the NVR. Read that thread.
Thanks mate. Lots of good info there. Let me take a read and see if I have any further info.

The cables seem fine but let me try the cam offline alarm setting again tomorrow.

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Mate finally have time now to play around with the NVR and cameras. I still get random dropouts and so going to reset everything and start from scratch again as after reading your guide i have done a few things wrong (such as I have port 37777 even though i use built in POE in NVR and also I can't access cameras via the blue IE icon etc). Hopefully that solves the dropout issues.

Just one question. One your guide you say not to enable P2P. If I don't enable it how do I view the cames from DMSS on my phone?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With DMSS If you want mobile notifications yes you need to use P2P

To view live, review/playback, get email alerts with snapshots, control many functions of the camera like zooming a ptz, and many other typical functions with DMSS, you do NOT need P2P

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. I do need to view from mobile so will enable P2P. I should get time tonight to reset it. Will report back on how it goes. Thanks so much!

gengar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just resetted the NVR to default and setup the cams. Now I can access the cams from the NVR via the blue IE icons! Going to see if this fixes the issue. Thanks all!