Help review newbie's plan for dahua security camera setup and installation.

BPatel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, I have learned a lot going thru cliffnotes and discussion between forum members, appreciates every ones contribution.

Below is what I am planning on installing, I have already placed order with Andy .

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 1 varifocal
IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE 3 fixed lens

Buy Blue iris from Home Automation | Security Alarm Systems | Security Spy Cameras | Toronto Canada

PoE Switch:
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Switch-Ports-Uplink/dp/B005GAATOG/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526946409&sr=1-5&keywords=poe+switch

**Blue Iris PC**
I have couple PC’s with me, which one should I use ?
PC1
Lenovo Mini Tower M83 with this processor
Intel® Core™ i5-4570T Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Product Specifications
W8
8GB RAM
Can I use external drive on this PC for recording?

PC 2
with 16 GB or RAM and w7 Pro (CPU Core i5-2400 @3.10GHz
ThinkCentre Desktop PC M91p (7052A7U) Intel Core i5 2400 (3.10 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 500 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - Newegg.com
Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Product Specifications

I cannot figure out how to mount cameras under aluminum soffit, I tried to go into attic but I don’t have enough access to put backing (2x6 or 2x4) for mounting cameras, I also don’t see an option of removing soffit panels from outside because they are nailed and wrapped with facia?

Do you recommend buying junction box, if yes then what is recommend for under soffit installation and on wall installation?

Is it ok to install camera on freeze board?
upload_2018-6-22_17-56-23.png

How to install where there soffit vent does not exist, please check attached pictures?
upload_2018-6-22_17-56-45.png

Other option I was thinking of was attaching backing under soffit from outside under soffit vents directly with same shape as junction box ?

upload_2018-6-22_17-57-0.png

Please check attached pictures where I plan to install cameras, I am open for any feedback.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,
  • Buy BI directly from the author, to avoid problems.
  • Read choosing Hardware for BI in Wiki.
  • Read Everything else in the Wiki.<<<<<<<<<<<
  • With a little patience, soffit can be removed. See youtube.
  • No blocking needed behind the soffit.
  • Read the wiki on a real computer, not your phone. ;)
  • Cam mounted over 8ft high, will have a very difficult time getting a face id.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
note hardware acceleration is limited to 1080p cameras on second generation intel processors.

Last edited:

BPatel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can I mount cameras directly under aluminum soffit with no blocking, will it hold the weight of cameras?

Is it also ok to mount on freeze board?

What is the link to buy BI from author?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I mount cameras directly under aluminum soffit with no blocking, will it hold the weight of cameras?

Is it also ok to mount on freeze board?

What is the link to buy BI from author?
Hi BPatel,

Numerous members have shared some of what they've been doing to provide additional strength there.

Some have added a piece of aluminum to mount the camera on.

Example:
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

There are others, so look around a bit for those.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The aluminum soffit will hold it just fine without any additional re-enforcing.
As always, use a 5gal bucket, 8ft 2x4, and rocks to make a portable test stand. Test each potential location for a minimum of 24hrs.
ALL OF this info is in the Cliff Notes in the Wiki.
Search & Google is your friend.

Last edited:

BPatel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply.

I still cannot figure out whether I should install under soffit or freeze board, what would you recommend?

Also, two of my cameras will be directly exposed to sunlight for 6-7 hours, will it be ok?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply.

I still cannot figure out whether I should install under soffit or freeze board, what would you recommend?

Also, two of my cameras will be directly exposed to sunlight for 6-7 hours, will it be ok?
HI Bpatel,

Remember to test the location before making holes.

BPatel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,
I did test few location but cannot figure out if I should install on freeze board or directly under aluminium soffit with no backing. I also get sunlight at this location for 6-8 hours, will anything go wrong with camera for direct sun exposure?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,
I did test few location but cannot figure out if I should install on freeze board or directly under aluminium soffit with no backing. I also get sunlight at this location for 6-8 hours, will anything go wrong with camera for direct sun exposure?
HI Bpatel,

Up to you to decide on what works best - remember to test both during the day and night.

W/re to sunlight - if white cameras turret or bullet models should be fine. Dome can be problematic - as heat and UV exposure will degrade the dome and foam/rubber separator / IR light blocker around the lens.

BPatel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman and Looney2ns. I checked wiki and cliff notes two time on my computer but I might have missed the licensing information, I will check again. Thanks for your input.