Help selecting cameras

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have three Hikvision bullet DS-2CD2042WD-I and one dome DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras. I am looking to add more to my BI system. I have been looking at cameras but the choice is overwhelming. I would like to stick with Hikvision since it makes updating firmware etc easier, but I don't need to. I just updated the firmware on both cameras but they seem to be at end of life (not sure what that means). Looking to spend $50-150 each. Would like a few indoor cameras, but some outside ones would be needed to cover garage doors and some other areas. The bullet cameras have problems with attracting bugs with IR.

I was trying to find a buying guide here but could not find much. I saw the Hikvision spreadsheet (though wish it had prices in it). Can anyone recommend some good references for learning about different camera types, lens types etc?

teddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
look into Hikvision Colorvu G2. Hikvision recently upgraded Colorvu to Colorvu G2. I have older Hikvision cams but recently one of them died on me so I got Colorvu (gen 1). After two months of using it, I'm thinking about replacing the rest of my cams to Colorvu G2.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Little more than I was hoping to spend but it seems nice. It does not have IR right? How dark does it need to be before the light comes on?

teddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
You can set the LED light to come on during set times, or with your bright setting. There is no IR but even the slight ambient light is sufficient enough, like a street light 50ft away. From what I read, once you update with the latest firmware, an event can trigger the LED light to come on which is super nice. Mine is OEM so I'm trying to get the vendor to send me firmware since OEM version can't be updated with hikvision firmware.

Anyone know how to update firmware for OEM hik cam?

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where did you buy them from? I was thinking of going the OEM route, but it seems like more of a headache than its worth. How much do you save? Do you know what the issue is with these firmware that can't be updated?

teddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
Where did you buy them from? I was thinking of going the OEM route, but it seems like more of a headache than its worth. How much do you save? Do you know what the issue is with these firmware that can't be updated?
I purchased my OEM from Amazon, vendor VIKVIZ because I could not find the one I wanted maybe due to US China trade restrictions or a ban on certain products. But DO NOT purchase one from VIKVIZ if you are going this route. I described my OEM experience on another thread:

Per @alastairstevenson He suggests going with one of the forum's go-to vendors @EMPIRETECANDY sells OEM branded with updated firmware so maybe you want to get in touch with him.