Help selecting security camera's

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a good quality security camera/system for a while. I was hoping anyone could help me out who has some experience/knowledge with them.

Some features I am looking for are:
  • High quality (4mp or 8mp)
  • 24/7 recording
  • Good night vision
  • Wired
  • Able to survive extreme cold
  • Audio would be a bonus
  • 3 cameras + NVR for around $1,200.00 (Canadian dollars)
At the moment I am looking at Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I, and was wondering if anyone has experience with this camera?
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-English-Version/dp/B076Q86R8H/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523152505&sr=1-6&keywords=DS-2CD2042WD-I

I was also looking at the Dahua cameras but they do not sell them at many places here in Canada sadly.

Thank you for your help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a good quality security camera/system for a while. ..
Welcome Marble,

Do take a look at the notes from giomania, link in the wiki tab at the top of the page
( IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk )

Many of us have ordered Dahua OEM international models from Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY here ) and he should be able to also be able to ship to Canada.

If you install them properly ( I like to use the junction boxes, either PFA121 PFA130E ) the various international Dahua OEM models should work well for you.

For 8MP models search ipcamtalk for reviews on Dahua OEM models IPC-HxW48xx or IPC-HxW48xx

Remember to also look at the Starlight 2MP models to compare your options.
( the IPC-HDW5231xx turret is well liked here )

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you mat200 for your fast reply!

Dahua is definitely a camera I am interested in, but I cannot afford leaving my house without cameras while ordering them from China at this moment..:( There have been a lot of break-ins in our neighbourhood..
Because of the break-ins, we bought the Arlo pro 2 in a panic but it has been quite disappointed so far and our return period is coming to an end.

Would it be possible to order a specific NVR that I can use with cameras bought from Canada and then add the Dahua from China later on? Having different brands on one NVR?

Would you think that the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I will be okay? I saw some videos that are really good, but also pictures that are not quite that great..
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikvision-DS-...qid=1523152505&sr=1-6&keywords=DS-2CD2042WD-I

Thank you so much!

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
If think I would like to order the Dahau cameras after all! I have been looking around this forum for the starlight cameras and I cannot believe how good the quality is for 2 mp. It is so much better than the 1080 we have right now.

Would you suggest the starlight over the 4/8 mp?

Does anyone have experience what the shipping time might be to Ontario, Canada?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If think I would like to order the Dahau cameras after all! I have been looking around this forum for the starlight cameras and I cannot believe how good the quality is for 2 mp. It is so much better than the 1080 we have right now.

Would you suggest the starlight over the 4/8 mp?

Does anyone have experience what the shipping time might be to Ontario, Canada?

Thanks!
Hi Marble,

Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) is able to ship instock cameras very quickly to the USA, and thus I would believe also Canada. Drop him a note, he's able to get cameras to many of us quicker than some US based vendors!

This is the NVR I picked up from him Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - there maybe a newer version this year.
( I ordered / picked up a Western Digital Purple 4TB HDD from a USA vendor for about $120 USD about 1 year ago, in a retail box )

Cameras I would look at the popular Dahua OEM starlight IPC-HDW5231xx or the non-varifocal version IPC-HDW42xx in 3.6mm or stronger lens

Also recommend picking up a junction box per camera - PFA130E

Buy bulk cat5e/6 cable with solid copper wires, a RJ45 crime tool, RJ45 jacks, dielectric silicone gel, silicone stretch plumbing tape, and you should be good to go.

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! I have sent him an email.

I couldn't find the non-varifocal version IPC-HDW42xx on the website but the other one I did.

How would an PoE NVR work with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? I tried to do some research about NVR's but it is a little confusing.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I have sent him an email.

I couldn't find the non-varifocal version IPC-HDW42xx on the website but the other one I did.

How would an PoE NVR work with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? I tried to do some research about NVR's but it is a little confusing.
Hi Marble,

When I got my cameras and NVR in, all I needed to do was connect the HDD into the NVR, plug a monitor into the NVR, plug NVR to power, plug cameras via cat5e/cat6 cables to NVR PoE power, and power it all on. I configured the NVR ( changed the password, time zone, a few other settings iirc ). The NVR recognized the cameras after the cameras booted up. Worked very well.

The hardest part was running the cables and mounting the cameras in good spots.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I ordered and received the following:
- 2x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
- 1x IPC-HDW5631R-ZE
- NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2

When I connect this to my TV it seems to have no problem but I am not able to find or connect the camera on my laptop or iPhone. I installed the CD that came with the NVR, the NVR is connected to my laptop and the camera to the NVR, it is plugged in and everything.. On my iPhone it is not able to find it either.. the notification just tells me Device not found. Can anyone please help me :(

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I ordered and received the following:
- 2x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
- 1x IPC-HDW5631R-ZE
- NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2

When I connect this to my TV it seems to have no problem but I am not able to find or connect the camera on my laptop or iPhone. I installed the CD that came with the NVR, the NVR is connected to my laptop and the camera to the NVR, it is plugged in and everything.. On my iPhone it is not able to find it either.. the notification just tells me Device not found. Can anyone please help me :(
Input the IP address of your NVR into Internet Explorer. See if you can connect that way.

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response! It does not seem to work, it says: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

marblewolf

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried the iDMSS Lite and the Lechange app for my iPhone, but both won’t connect and say device not found.
Why is it only working when I hook it on to my TV and not to my phone/laptop?