Help Setting up a Honeywell HEW4PRW3 as ip not NVR

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
G'day

Hoping someone can help me out originally these Honeywell Cameras HEW4PRW3 were designed to run on a NVR but I want to set them up as just an ip camera. I bought them 2nd hand cameras only so no NVR. I have an existing cheap chinese ip camera already hooked up to a 4 port POE switch. My chinese one works fine with the software it originally came with.. I have plugged the new honeywell ones into the ip switch and after 20 to 3 seconds the nigh IR light lights up and they get warm after a while but I have no software and my router isn't finding them at all. Is the only reason my router not finding them because I have set them up with software. I have searched the net couldn't find anything and tried multiple programs claiming to be universal.

Can some experts shed some light and help out a bit of a newb...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on what I read on page 11 of the User Manual (attached below), the default IP is 192.168.1.108 which indicates it's most likely made by Dahua for Honeywell. If so, you could follow these instructions in the IPCT "Cliff Notes" here.

But before you begin, I suggest you hard reset the cam.
Try to locate a reset button, possibly behind a removable door where the microSD card is stored.
Power the cam up with either the 12VDC connector or a POE switch or POE injector as mentioned in the instructions linked above.
Press and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds, then release.

Then follow the rest of the instructions but with the following change: the instructions linked above state that the Dahua camera username/password login is "admin" / "admin"; the Honeywell manual states that it is "admin" / "1234".

I would use Internet Explorer 11 to login to the cam's webGUI. If you're using Windows 10 or 11, search for it, it's hiding in there.

Attachments

Last edited:

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on what I read on page 11 of the User Manual (attached below), the default IP is 192.168.1.108 which indicates it's most likely made by Dahua for Honeywell. If so, you could follow these instructions in the IPCT "Cliff Notes" here.

But before you begin, I suggest you hard reset the cam.
Try to locate a reset button, possibly behind a removable door where the microSD card is stored.
Power the cam up with either the 12VDC connector or a POE switch or POE injector as mentioned in the instructions linked above.
Press and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds, then release.

Then follow the rest of the instructions but with the following change: the instructions linked above state that the Dahua camera username/password login is "admin" / "admin"; the Honeywell manual states that it is "admin" / "1234".

I would use Internet Explorer 11 to login to the cam's webGUI. If you're using Windows 10 or 11, search for it, it's hiding in there.
Thanks for your reply I tried that but still didn't work my cameras have no sd slots or reset buttons I have undone the 3 screws to the camera nd inside just 2 circuit boards no buttons for a reset there either. I went into my internet connection and it has the box checked obtain ip address automatically. I changed it to the one you suggested 192.168.1.108 etc and I just lost my internet connection tried typing the address in the browser and didn't get anything still tried the ipconfig tool didnt find anything their either>?

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me how to reset this camera have watched a couple of YouTube videos but can’t find one for this specific model I have attached some pics of the camera pcb. No idea what to bridge out to reset

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I found this after an exhaustive search. It's a Honeywell training Powerpoint that shows how to reset several different models of their "Performance Series" cameras.

However, when you look at the one for your cam, I'm pretty sure they got it wrong! All the other models point to the 2 small holes to short when resetting; your cam is the ONLY one which shows the 2 holes are the serial port and the reset is the 4 holes. Below is an enlarged and corrected (green arrows) version of the image for your cam, then a screen shot of the PP presentation.

Anyway, if you need to reset the cam, you apply power, short the 2 small pins with a paperclip for 5 seconds.

honeywell hew4prw3_reset.jpg

honeywell-mistake.jpg

Last edited:

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I found this after an exhaustive search. It's a Honeywell training Powerpoint that shows how to reset several different models of their "Performance Series" cameras.

However, when you look at the one for your cam, I'm pretty sure they got it wrong! All the other models point to the 2 small holes to short when resetting; your cam is the ONLY one which shows the 2 holes are the serial port and the reset is the 4 holes. Below is an enlarged and corrected (green arrows) version of the image for your cam, then a screen shot of the PP presentation.

Anyway, if you need to reset the cam, you apply power, short the 2 small pins with a paperclip for 5 seconds.

View attachment 115693

View attachment 115694
Thanks TonyR you are a legend Sir I have resetted it now you are correct its the 2 small holes shown top right. I heard it click and reset... So what I'm now struggling with is my internet is setup to run with the ip addresses automatically assigned so I cant see what they are the only way I can get the camera working is by disabling my internet and changing the ip address to 192.168.1.100 and subnet to 255.255.255.0. The camera ip is 192.168.1.108. I can login to the honeywell web browser but cant view the camera image as it wants me to download a plugin and then I cant download the plugin because my internet is disabled... I managed to donload an ip config tool and I can verify that the camera is showing a video image whoo hoo but I'm not sure how to get it setup on my router now? The chinese camera im currently using its address is 10.0.0.2 on my router? Can yo step me through how I get it onto my router and get back my internet connection?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR you are a legend Sir I have resetted it now you are correct its the 2 small holes shown top right. I heard it click and reset... So what I'm now struggling with is my internet is setup to run with the ip addresses automatically assigned so I cant see what they are the only way I can get the camera working is by disabling my internet and changing the ip address to 192.168.1.100 and subnet to 255.255.255.0. The camera ip is 192.168.1.108. I can login to the honeywell web browser but cant view the camera image as it wants me to download a plugin and then I cant download the plugin because my internet is disabled... I managed to donload an ip config tool and I can verify that the camera is showing a video image whoo hoo but I'm not sure how to get it setup on my router now? The chinese camera im currently using its address is 10.0.0.2 on my router? Can yo step me through how I get it onto my router and get back my internet connection?
If the chinese cam is currently 10.0.0.2, then your router's LAN is likely 10.0.0.XXX, and VERY likely 10.0.0.1.
  • Put your PC back where it was (10.0.0.X and most likely set to DHCP) and log into router's LAN, likely 10.0.0.1.
  • Check your router's DHCP pool (the pool of IP's it can assign to devices that are set to DHCP and not static).
  • Pick out an IP that is outside of that pool; in other words, if router LAN is 10.0.0.1 and it's pool is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.99, then use 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200 as IP's for your static devices, like your cams.
  • Write that unique IP down...that's what your going to change your cam to.
  • Put PC back on the 192.168.1.XXX subnet and subnet MASK to 255.255.255.0.
  • Log into cam at 192.168.1.108. You should not need the plug-in for changing settings and BTW, that plug-in is downloaded generally from the cam itself, not the Internet.
  • Change the cam's IP to what you picked out, like 10.0.0.100 and click on save or apply.
  • Put PC back to original (likely DHCP where it received a 10.0.0.XXX IP), cam should now visible to PC via router LAN port.

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
If the chinese cam is currently 10.0.0.2, then your router's LAN is likely 10.0.0.XXX, and VERY likely 10.0.0.1.
  • Put your PC back where it was (10.0.0.X and most likely set to DHCP) and log into router's LAN, likely 10.0.0.1.
  • Check your router's DHCP pool (the pool of IP's it can assign to devices that are set to DHCP and not static).
  • Pick out an IP that is outside of that pool; in other words, if router LAN is 10.0.0.1 and it's pool is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.99, then use 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200 as IP's for your static devices, like your cams.
  • Write that unique IP down...that's what your going to change your cam to.
  • Put PC back on the 192.168.1.XXX subnet and subnet MASK to 255.255.255.0.
  • Log into cam at 192.168.1.108. You should not need the plug-in for changing settings and BTW, that plug-in is downloaded generally from the cam itself, not the Internet.
  • Change the cam's IP to what you picked out, like 10.0.0.100 and click on save or apply.
  • Put PC back to original (likely DHCP where it received a 10.0.0.XXX IP), cam should now visible to PC via router LAN port.
I have it sorted somehow think I thumbled my way through it.. My router is 10.0.0.138 and my chineese camera is 10.0.0.2 and my new cam was assigned 10.0.0.9 automatically by the router I think. Only problem is now my chineese camera won't recognise this camera.. I even tried manual setup inputting all the ip addresses but no go. Is there any good software I can download to work with this Honeywell Camera Thanks for your help in advance

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Another quick question I setup the 2nd camera exactly the same as the first but now I have lost the fist camera. It keeps assigning automatically 10.0.0.9 for the Cameras but I can only get one working at any one time. I have managed to stream a camera over the phone via an app I got but when i disconnected the rj cable I lost that feed and it automatically picked up the feed from the other plugge din camera>?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another quick question I setup the 2nd camera exactly the same as the first but now I have lost the fist camera. It keeps assigning automatically 10.0.0.9 for the Cameras but I can only get one working at any one time. I have managed to stream a camera over the phone via an app I got but when i disconnected the rj cable I lost that feed and it automatically picked up the feed from the other plugge din camera>?
Only plug in 1 cam at a time.
Plug in first, assign IP and make it static, save it, then open it's webGUI with the assigned IP.
Then plug in second cam, assign it a different IP, make it static, save it, then open it's webGUI with the assigned IP.

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Done when i try and log onto the web GUI i have to refresh the page like 30 plus times sometimes before I actually get the login screen anyway it does work just have to persist. Whats the best software to get for motion detection and to be able to send pictres to an email address when motion alarm is triggered. I have the honview touch app on the mobile phone but I cant get it to take pictures once motion is triggered.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Done when i try and log onto the web GUI i have to refresh the page like 30 plus times sometimes before I actually get the login screen anyway it does work just have to persist. Whats the best software to get for motion detection and to be able to send pictres to an email address when motion alarm is triggered. I have the honview touch app on the mobile phone but I cant get it to take pictures once motion is triggered.
Honestly, I can't comment on any software but Blue Iris on a PC server....which is what I use. :cool:

EDIT: If you don't get a lot of responses, you could try the free Amcrest Surveillance Pro.
It works with Amcrest cams, which are OEM'd by Dahua like your Honeywell, so it very well may work.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If he does a reset on the cam and plugs it into a 10.0.0.1 router, will DHCP assign it an address? or does he have to start with the 192.168.1.108 GUI, and move it to 10.0.0.x?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If he does a reset on the cam and plugs it into a 10.0.0.1 router, will DHCP assign it an address? or does he have to start with the 192.168.1.108 GUI, and move it to 10.0.0.x?
If it's like Dahua and other Dahua-built cams, the default of 192.168.1.108 is static so it won't "listen' to the 10.0.0.1 router; if the cam was DHCP by default, it could receive a 10.0.0.XXX IP from the 10.0.0.1 router (or a router in any subnet, for that matter).

He'd need to log into the 192.168.1.108 and change it to 10.0.0.X if that's his chosen subnet for the cams. And as I suggested to him in my post #8, I'd assign a unique IP that is outside of the router's DHCP pool and make it static in the cam.

Last edited:

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried Armcrest surveilance Pro I like it alot but now I have one really annoying problem t wont let me set up email notifications. Every time I click on the smtp and enter the details i get a popup box come up on the right hand side bottom of screen saying

failed to save smtp config file I have entered all details correctly and I have even tried saving the default template and I get the same error? Anyone know why?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried Armcrest surveilance Pro I like it alot but now I have one really annoying problem t wont let me set up email notifications. Every time I click on the smtp and enter the details i get a popup box come up on the right hand side bottom of screen saying

failed to save smtp config file I have entered all details correctly and I have even tried saving the default template and I get the same error? Anyone know why?
Can you provide a screenshot of the SMTP config page and the error dialog?

You still using IE 11?

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you provide a screenshot of the SMTP config page and the error dialog?

You still using IE 11?
I'm not sure what IE Im running but it has google chrome installed using windows 10 and I also have microsoft edge The older version of Inernet explorer also that came with windows 10 and also firefox.
Here is a screenshot of the error the below is the default settings but I get exactly the same fault with all the correct details entered ie smtp.gmail.com port 465 etc etc. 2nd shot the error bottom right

1642583564452.png

1642583636747.png

I also get an error when I goto the profile management page failed to get config file????

1642583772865.png

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IE version 11 is what is baked into Windows 10.

If your screenshot is how it's configured then that's most likely the reason for the errors:
You must populate the places SMTP Server & port (determined by who you use to send email), User Name (your email address), Password (your email password), receiver (the email address of where the generated e-mail is to go to).

This is from page 34 of the User Manual:

amcrest-Surv-pro-smtp.jpg

EDIT: Wed. 1/18 0649 CT; Regarding G-mail, you need to log into your account and set G-mail to "allow less secure apps".

Last edited: