Help setting up Hikvision Motion Detection with Essentials + 2018R2

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Hikvision camera working with camera side motion detection triggering recordings in Xprotect Essentials + 2018R2?

I've set up the obvious. Enabled both motion Start / Stop events in the camera settings on Milestone. Then set up a RULE which starts recordings 10 Seconds before Motion Detection START is triggered and stops 10 Seconds after Motion Detection STOP is triggered.

I don't know what else needs to be done but nothing is showing up in the events logs.

I have another event that records continuously which is needed to record video from all cameras and I wondered if that was conflicting with the motion detection trigger based recording.

Motion detection is enabled and working correctly on the camera. I have enabled Hikvision integration protocol on the camera but not sure if that is required.

Milestone is using the Hikvision Generic driver which should correctly expose the Motion Detection status.

I can get Milestone server side motion detection working but it uses quite a few CPU cycles. I'd like to offload the work to the camera.

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok...so I disabled the rule that records continuously and sure enough the camera which was set up to record when motion detection was triggered from the camera started working. The playback timeline shows recordings only where the motion detection was triggered by the camera and blank anywhere else.

So it seems I was right that continuous recording and motion detection triggered by the camera are not mutually exclusive. There appears to be no way to tag a recording as triggered by a rule rather than as a continuous recording in the same way that motion events are highlighted in RED on the playback timeline when using the integral motion detection software in Xprotect Essentials Plus.

If anyone has a way around this problem so that I can do continuous recording at the same time as using an external motion detection trigger it would be appreciated.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With continuous recording you can still look at the recording bar and determine where there is motion. See attached pic. The Milestone Recording Server, if the camera is set for Motion - Motion Detection, does the video analysis as it records it to disk and determines if there is motion, and changes the recording bar color to indicate such.

Attachments

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With continuous recording you can still look at the recording bar and determine where there is motion. See attached pic. The Milestone Recording Server, if the camera is set for Motion - Motion Detection, does the video analysis as it records it to disk and determines if there is motion, and changes the recording bar color to indicate such.
Hey Adam, thanks for the suggestion. My set up is working exactly as you described now using the software motion detection built into Milestone Xprotect. It also shows the RED highlights on the playback timeline as per your snapshot image.

What I wanted to do was to use my Hikvision camera motion detection instead of Xprotect's. I can get this working but the camera motion triggered event recordings are not highlighted any differently to continuous recording on the playback timeline so there is no way to see the motion events. In fact, the continuous recording RULE effectively overwrites the motion detection recordings.

I found out some useful information in my quest to get this working. I couldn't understand why the hardware assisted motion detection option in Xprotect didn't seem to make any difference when enabled/disabled to the CPU usage.

What I found out was that the hardware motion dectection only functions when Intel Quicksync is enabled and available on the CPU. The hardware motion detection does not use the Nvidia GPU expect for the Corporate and Enterprise editions of Xprotect.

As I have Xprotect running in a Virtual Machine, the operating system can't see the Intel Quicksync capability of the CPU and it won't use the Nvidia GPU as mentioned. I suppose having Xprotect installed on a bare metal system rather than in a VM would help lower the CPU usage when using Xprotect's software based motion detection. I will need to try this out on a test machine when I have more time.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you are going to be unable to bring the camera device detection events/marking metadata into the Xprotect recorded video. At best you could probably have the device events send out to another logging box that stores and allows you to search it later. But it will be outside of Xprotect. Or perhaps you can have Xprotect detect these device events and have Xprotect generate logged Alarms/Events via its rules and alarms and events system. Then the logging is internal to Xprotect.

I believe the newest 2018 versions of XProtect corporate/expert support Nvidia GPUs.

Yes I agree that installing on bare metal will give the recording service access to GPU acceleration.

jbrukardt

n3wb
Reaction score
Any further thoughts on this? I have the exact same issue as OP.

I would like continuous record for archival purposes, but also motion alerts, and the built in motion detection in milestone doesnt have phase detection change, so it triggers every time the sun goes in or out and flags the shadows, or lack of shadows as movement.