Help understanding

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have read the wiki and read some articles online and was hoping for some direction.

I don't entirely understand all of the pieces that I need. I want recording in both the front and back of our house, alerts on motion detection, nighttime recording, high enough quality to see faces, ideally a way to view the cameras from inside the house easily if I get a motion detection or hear something.

I was looking at getting one of these to start:

Reolink 4MP (2560x1440) Super HD PoE Camera w/SD Card Outdoor/Indoor Video Surveillance Home Ip Security IR Night Vision Motion Detection Audio Support w/Phone App RLC-410S

If I am going to set it all up myself then I guess I also need an NVR to connect the cameras to. What are the top recommendations for 4/8 channel?

Then I hang the camera, run the wire to the NVR(which I guess is inside the house, so I need to run 4 wires through the wall, under the house(we have crawl space), then back into the house to get to the NVR?). Then what? Do I then need to connect the NVR to a PC and then run Blue Iris on the PC? Or do you either get an NVR or get a PC? If I have the NVR downstairs can I view the video on monitors upstairs? I am getting lost on the logistics. It would be awesome to have a monitor on my nightstand that I can turn on and see all 4 cameras.

Any direction or guides would be awesome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have read the wiki and read some articles online and was hoping for some direction.

I don't entirely understand all of the pieces that I need. I want recording in both the front and back of our house, alerts on motion detection, nighttime recording, high enough quality to see faces, ideally a way to view the cameras from inside the house easily if I get a motion detection or hear something.

I was looking at getting one of these to start:

Reolink 4MP (2560x1440) Super HD PoE Camera w/SD Card Outdoor/Indoor Video Surveillance Home Ip Security IR Night Vision Motion Detection Audio Support w/Phone App RLC-410S

If I am going to set it all up myself then I guess I also need an NVR to connect the cameras to. What are the top recommendations for 4/8 channel?

Then I hang the camera, run the wire to the NVR(which I guess is inside the house, so I need to run 4 wires through the wall, under the house(we have crawl space), then back into the house to get to the NVR?). Then what? Do I then need to connect the NVR to a PC and then run Blue Iris on the PC? Or do you either get an NVR or get a PC? If I have the NVR downstairs can I view the video on monitors upstairs? I am getting lost on the logistics. It would be awesome to have a monitor on my nightstand that I can turn on and see all 4 cameras.

Any direction or guides would be awesome.
avoid reolink...spamming garbage company...
BI replaced an NVR...

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response fenderman I appreciate it. I think that means BI on a server OR NVR. Not both.

It seems like there are some posts about Foscam so I can look at their cameras. I think I want 3MP+, best value. Brand doesn't matter much to me. The Dahua cameras seem expensive.

It looks like the steps are:
1. Decide if I want to run my own machine or an NVR
2. Pick the cameras

Regardless if I want to view video in my bedroom I think I need the NVR/Server to sit there with a monitor attached. Have all the cameras connected to it. Then run ethernet from NVR/Server to my router to allow mobile notifications. Or connect it wirelessly. I just need the NVR/Server connected to the internet for notifications/viewing remotely and that amount of video is relatively low so wireless for that piece seems fine.

Is that accurate?

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response fenderman I appreciate it. I think that means BI on a server OR NVR. Not both.

It seems like there are some posts about Foscam so I can look at their cameras. I think I want 3MP+, best value. Brand doesn't matter much to me. The Dahua cameras seem expensive.

It looks like the steps are:
1. Decide if I want to run my own machine or an NVR
2. Pick the cameras

Regardless if I want to view video in my bedroom I think I need the NVR/Server to sit there with a monitor attached. Have all the cameras connected to it. Then run ethernet from NVR/Server to my router to allow mobile notifications. Or connect it wirelessly. I just need the NVR/Server connected to the internet for notifications/viewing remotely and that amount of video is relatively low so wireless for that piece seems fine.

Is that accurate?

Thanks again!
Blue iris cannot run on an NVR...nothing can run on an NVR other than the manufactures firmware.
Foscam is worse than reolink..where are you getting this garbage info from?
Reliability and quality dont matter to you? Then just buy anything and follow up your post with questions like, my cams dont work...my image looks shitty.
READ THE WIKI on top.
No, yo dont need the nvr/or server to sit there with a monitor..they can be accessed via webpage or mobile app.
you dont need to homerun cable back to the server or NVR...its a NETWORK!!!!
wireless is CRAP. Dont use it.
You have much to learn.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have a lot to learn :)

Yup, that part I got. So you run the 4 wires and connect them to server through a PoE switch, I think.

You lost me on not needing to run a cable/monitor. How am I supposed to configure the machine? It needs to connect somewhere. You can't access a server from a webpage/mobile without it being connected to the network. I assume I run ethernet from the server to my router then remote into the server from my main PC to set it up? Then the mobile app can connect to it while connected to my Wifi? I guess it depends if I want remote notifications/viewing or not if it needs to be exposed to the internet.

I will read the Wiki again from top to bottom, I must have missed a few pages.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have a lot to learn :)

Yup, that part I got. So you run the 4 wires and connect them to server through a PoE switch, I think.

You lost me on not needing to run a cable/monitor. How am I supposed to configure the machine? It needs to connect somewhere. You can't access a server from a webpage/mobile without it being connected to the network. I assume I run ethernet from the server to my router then remote into the server from my main PC to set it up? Then the mobile app can connect to it while connected to my Wifi? I guess it depends if I want remote notifications/viewing or not if it needs to be exposed to the internet.

I will read the Wiki again from top to bottom, I must have missed a few pages.
who said the machine is not connected to the network..of course it is..i said the cameras dont have to be homerun to the pc/nve.
use vpn

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I have to admit there is a lot of content to read there. The barrier to entry is quite high just to get a beginner system going.

I've started to make a list of what I think I need:

PC: 2016 Dell Optiplex 7010 Business Desktop Computer (Intel Quad Core i5 up to 3.8GHz Processor), 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD, Windows 10 Professional (Certified Refurbished)
Software: Blue Iris
NIC for dual LAN: Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK
HDD: WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40PURZ
PoE Switch: Zyxel 8-Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Power over Ethernet Switch [ES1100-8P]
Doorbell video: LTS, Full HD Video Doorbell
Cameras: 2x Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Bullet IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 1080P

Questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. Is the camera choice OK? This is my first setup, I don't want to pay the Dahua prices until I understanding everything much better. Is Amcrest one tier below? Should I look at Hikvision?

Thanks for the help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras: 2x Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Bullet IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, 1080P

Questions:

2. Is the camera choice OK? This is my first setup, I don't want to pay the Dahua prices until I understanding everything much better. Is Amcrest one tier below?
I have had good luck with Amcrest, as I have 2 for 4 years and have installed another 16 total at 4 customer's' sites over the past 3 years and all have performed beautifully. Mine and 1 other site is on BI and the other 3 sites are on Amcrest NVR's. 10 of the 16 cams are the IP2M-843E (bullet POE, 1080P). They are about $60 apiece.

The 2MP Starlight Dahua turret from Andy would be a better choice but I understand what you have stated....just as long as you understand that ALL bullet cams will have more issues with spider webs than will the turret style.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Tony!

I did not know that about the difference between bullet cams and turret style, thanks for letting me know.

I think I will start with 2 of the Amcrest ones and then connect more as I get used to the setup. Then I can start exploring more models.

Is there any hardware I am missing? I really appreciate the help, thanks so much!

Have you noticed a huge difference between the NVR at client's sites and running BI? I know there are some decent deals on the Amcrest site when buying the NVR + 4 cameras.

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ideally a way to view the cameras from inside the house easily if I get a motion detection or hear something.
talking on this, I use a Hikvision NVR and i can run the IVMS app on my Nvidia Shield console to view camera feeds from my couch. I'm sure someone here would know if there is a tv app you could use for BI or a Dahua NVR. Heck, i imagine it wont be long before "Works with Alexa" is a topic title on the forums

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you noticed a huge difference between the NVR at client's sites and running BI? I know there are some decent deals on the Amcrest site when buying the NVR + 4 cameras.
IMO, BI is superior to any NVR. Easier to configure, more reliable notifications, great mobile app....and the list goes on.

I can view 1 cam now on Tinycam Pro on my Sony 65" TV which is Android. One day when I have some time I want to try the Android BI app on it; wife has it on her Moto Z2 Force, I have it on my iPhone 5, both work flawlessly.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! Working on ordering everything now :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony, What PC are you running your setup on? I've been looking at old refurbished PCs like the ones suggested here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk but a lot of them have really mixed reviews. Is Amazon recommended to buy refurbished PCs?
I have a Dell Inspiron i5-2320 with 6GB and it struggles, want to replace it soon as finances permit.

IMO, I think ebay and/or newegg.com is a better source for refurbed HP's & Dells of i5 4th gen and above. @fenderman seems to have the inside track on them, he'll likely read this and holler back to you.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome thanks both of you! Just ordered the 2 cameras, working on ordering the rest :) Will do a write up here after.