Help with camera and wireless setup

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me start by saying I am completely new to Ubiquiti and I am trying to get everything in order before I start the installation. I am trying to improve WIFI service in my home to include a detached garage approximately 50 feet away from the main building. My current ISP is Verizon FIOS and the provided gateway sucks. I am also running several IP cameras Hard wired to the Cisco switch. I will be installing another POE switch to the detached garage and need help choosing one that will power everything.

I have the following:
1x Ubiquiti USG (main house)
1x Cisco SF300-24PP POE+ switch (main house)
3x Ubiquiti AP-PRO (2 main house) (1 Detached Garage)
2x Ubiquiti LOCO M5 (1 main house) (1 Detached Garage)

1x Ubiquiti Network POE 48v Adapter (POE-48-24w-g) for AP-PRO in Garage

I be connecting one of the LOCO M5 to POE (switch) which then be connected to one of the AC-PRO via Ubiquiti Adapter to provide power. The reason for the switch in the detached garage is because I will also be running IP security cameras and need the extra ports.

What would be a good POE+ switch that will power two cameras (dahua non PTZ) the loco M5 and AC Pro ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ubiquiti uses their own POE. It's not 48v, so any POE switch you get for cams won't power the Locos. The other gear I haven't used but make sure it's not 24v Ubiquiti-only POE. The Locos come with their own injectors though so that's not a big problem. Just be careful mixing and matching your Ubiquiti gear with 802.3af and 802.3at (48v industry standard POE and POE+).

And which cams do you want to power? If the extra power is not needed then I'd just go with a POE switch, not POE+. Most of the "regular" Dahua cams don't need POE+ unless they're PTZ or are a high zoom bullet with extra powerful IRs. After saying that though, I've got a Linksys LGS108P gigabit POE+ switch at home running a bunch of stuff at the moment that doesn't need POE+. I had one cam that needed POE+ but swapped it out. Decent sale on it at a time I needed another switch so I replaced my Zyxel ES1100-8P with it as an upgrade. The Zyxel is probably my favourite desktop 8 port 10/100 POE 802.3af switch though. Full power budget, metal case, no wall wart or inline power brick, and rear ports for clean desktop cable management.