Help with camera POE and design

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I could use a little help if you have time. I have been reading up for a couple of weeks and I am still not sure the best way to do what I am trying to do. I am new to this for sure, and only own a couple of Arlo's at this point.

The mission:

- I want to add 4-6 cams around the house. I am looking at turrets and/or bullets (hikvision/dahua) I am absolutely open to specific models. Would like to stay under $150 each

- I want to have 24/7 recording, live streaming, a week or 2 of playback

When I built the house I installed cat 5e to every room in the house as well as the main attic (shown in the crude drawing). These are all home runs back to a central closet where I have a leviton punch down panel.
In my crude drawing, you can see the attic area. I have 1 cat5e cable in there now that I can use. I want to add 3-4 cams out of this attic area to have cams facing both directions of the front of house, as well as back of house. I am not sure of the best way to handle this as far as power, connections, etc. There is a light in the attic so I could probably wire an outlet and power the cams, or should I go POE with switch or injectors? That is where I get lost.

I have the same issue in the front porch area. There is 1 cat5e in the gameroom, and from there it would be fairly easy to run a cat 5 to the attic above the front porch. it is pretty open in there, and has door access. I would like 2 cams on the front porch area. Again, not sure of the best way to connect and power them since i will have 1 cat5 cable to run 2 or more cams.

I know there is multiple ways this can be done so i wanted to ask the experts before I over complicate or more importantly, over spend on things I dont need. I'm just not sure if I need injectors, multi port POE switch, an NVR that provides POE, or what. Thanks for any help with this.

house.jpg
house2.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
dahua starlight varifocal turret...170, well worth the extra 20...see the thread in the dahua section.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd be leery about putting a POE switch in an attic with the extreme temps...so you could either run more home run cables if you have conduit / chase or maybe put a switch in a closet on second floor and run wiring from there to attic.

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately home runs to the original closet would be impossible. The walls in the game room are the attic walls. So maybe I could go buy a POE NVR installed in the game room and run new wires from there, through the wall into the attic, to each camera location. I "think" i would have access to run wire to all of those without too much problem. Would there be anything wrong with that setup, or a better way?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the best way is to run wires directly from each camera to each NVR, if your really in a pinch you could consider something like this: Amazon.com: Kenuco PoE Extender and Splitter - 1 in 4 out: Computers & Accessories

but you'll have to pay attention to power ceilings, the Starlight Varifocal Turret is rated <8.5W so that splitter could only safely support 3x of those cameras if you gave it a 25W Supply.. You might get 4 of em on it if you disable the IR on a couple of em

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately home runs to the original closet would be impossible. The walls in the game room are the attic walls. So maybe I could go buy a POE NVR installed in the game room and run new wires from there, through the wall into the attic, to each camera location. I "think" i would have access to run wire to all of those without too much problem. Would there be anything wrong with that setup, or a better way?
Nothing "wrong" with that at all....you will just have to run multiple wires to attic for the cams but the game room seems close enough to where that won't be a big PITA. Then you can just use the homerun wire to go back down to closet to tie in rest of network and other cams if needed.

ctfortner

n3wb
Reaction score
nayr, that is interesting, haven't seen those before. That may be an easy fix (assuming they work OK) to the attic area vs running 3 cables. I only intend on 3 cams in there at the moment. So where does its power come from, a POE switch I assume?

Roman, thanks for the info. I am going to look at the wiring possibility, I dont think it will be a huge PITA but I need to double check.

My other main question is, will any of this prevent live viewing (phone/PC) from being available? I want it to record 24/7 and be available to live view remotely anytime as well.

Oh and I am sure yall know, I cant find anything yet, but what is the difference in the "mini" nvr vs a not mini nvr? Examples

NVR4108/4116HS-8P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

NVR4108/4116-8P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My other main question is, will any of this prevent live viewing (phone/PC) from being available? I want it to record 24/7 and be available to live view remotely anytime as well.
Will make no difference at all....doesn't matter if you have 5 switches interconnecting cams as long as they are all networked together and can get to the outside (router / if you mean for remote access)...if you just mean access while at home over wifi...that will work as well.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
to properly power that PoE Extender you need PoE+ (802.3AT) that can do 25W, most Switches will be standard PoE (802.3AF) that can do 14W..

a NVR w/built in PoE usually has 802.3AT, most cheap PoE switches are usually 802.3AF.. if you dont use a PoE NVR then you'll probably want a PoE+ Injector