Help with choosing best option for Blue Iris PC

ulterios

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking to get a dedicated Blue Iris PC and have been going through the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" page here in the Wiki section and using some of the information there have found a few refurbished/renewed systems that I am considering. I am not sure which one would be the best value/choice and was hoping some members here can give me their opinions.

The systems I am considering:

#1 ($275)
Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF
7th Gen Core i5-7500 3.4GHz
8GB DDR4 RAM
500GB HDD
Windows 10 Pro

#2 ($265)
Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower
6th Gen Core i5-6500 Processor 3.2GHz
8GB DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro

#3 ($270)
Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF
8GB DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

#4 ($210)
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
Windows 10 Pro

I would be using the included hard drive in these systems for Windows, Blue Iris and any other needed system software and be adding another drive for my video storage. If needed I can replace the main system drive for an SSD in the systems that don't already have one if that would make a big difference.

Right now I have 2 - 4K Dahua Cameras, 3 Amcrest (I didn't know better when I bought them) 4 & 5 MP cameras that will be swapped out for better cameras, and 2 other 1080p PTZ cameras (Will also be replaced eventually). I will eventually be adding 3-4 additional quality cameras over time as well as adding a couple inside the house as the others are all outside cameras.

I am wanting a system that can handle things now and will be able to handle potential future upgrades, while not breaking the bank on building a new top-end system.

I know it might be hard to give a definitive answer without knowing all the exact details of what my system will be but I am mainly looking for recommendation on which of the above systems is the best bang for the buck and would be the better performer.

Any helpful advice and/or input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the hard drives are junk. The only system that is a good starting point is maybe #3 Because it has an SSD.
The System should have 16 GB memory, as more features are added to BI and that it is using deepstack. And windows 11 is coming....
It should have an Internal 4TB or bigger WD purple surveillance drive. Make sure the drive will fit into the case along with the SSD.

Look at
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
Blue Iris Update Helper

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If needed I can replace the main system drive for an SSD in the systems that don't already have one if that would make a big difference.
YES!!!
I've built/repaired/upgraded probably 300 or 400 PC's since the 80's and IMO, a good SSD is one of the best, least expensive devices to come along in a great while that one can do for the PC.

I highly recommend a fresh install of Win 10 using a USB stick made with the MS Media Creation Tool on that SSD along with BI, and BI's "db" folder; put all video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD like a WD Purple.

I've had really good luck with 2.5" Samsung 860 EVO's and 870 EVO's of 250GB and 500GB size; replaced about 6 HDD's with them since Jan. of this year.
I use these 3.5" to 2.5" adapters when needed....2 for $6, all metal, with screws.....hard to beat.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For a few more dollars you can get an 8th gen i5 that will give you lots of headroom. The 8th gen is much more powerful than the prior gen i5's.
HP EliteDesk 800 G4, i5-8500, 8Gb RAM, 250Gb SSD | eBay make a best offer
You will want an ssd.
When you "make an offer" on listings like these, how much can you realistically undercut their Buy It Now prices? Looking to purchase another system for a family member and might go the eBay route.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you "make an offer" on listings like these, how much can you realistically undercut their Buy It Now prices? Looking to purchase another system for a family member and might go the eBay route.
It varies usually 20-50 bux.

Reaction score
Dell is running a Christmas in July special on new Inspiron desktops right now.
What do y'all think of this Inspiron desktop 3880 for $449 + Tax as the base of a Blue Iris PC for 4 cameras?
I know there are cheaper refirb, but this is brand new, so willing to pay a little more for longer life...

CPU: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10400 processor(6-Core12M Cache2.9GHz to 4.3GHz)
Ram: 8Gb 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz ,
Hdd: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Video: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with shared graphics memory
No Optical Drive
FGA Module: 2105_7000/US/BTS
Will add extra harddrive for video file storage of course
Will have to add extra ram ( 2nd slot avail) also, since pre-configured and not customizable.

I'm hoping it may even be Windows 11 worthy after Microsoft feels pressure to stop obsolescing perfectly good systems.

Thanks, Wiliki Kilika

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping it may even be Windows 11 worthy after Microsoft feels pressure to stop obsolescing perfectly good systems.
Not so sure that's a good thing at this point, as I've heard MS will require a MS account & login with 11 in order to activate and/or use it.....time will tell.
I always wait a period before I jump onboard with anything new to see what shakes out, let others be the Guinea pigs and be subjected to the initial bugs and flaky issues.