Help with configuration

secplus

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all thanks for the site.

I got this customer today that called me, he had a 7 camera ip system installed in his house and he's not happy with it, other than missed angles and other things, the night vision is lacking. The picture seems very noisy, and there's a lot of detail missing in the image
Specs are OEM Hikvision:

NVR-
NR31P6-16 PoE 16ch with 2tb HD.

Cameras are from what the DVR tells me:
NC304-TDA 4mp armor mini dome. (best guess Hikvision oem)

I have attached pics showing the camera views and how they are setup. I'm more comfortable working with Dahua stuff, and I just haven't had the chance to dig into Hikvision...This guy is ready to get rid of this system all together, but I want to see if there's a way to make it better, he only got his installed 3 weeks ago!!

(He has plenty of high density LED lighting installed through the outside of the house, but even if those where on, the image "noise" would only intensify)
snip1.PNG snip2.PNG snip3.PNG

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pretty much all 4MP Cameras have very poor low light capabilities.. more light will reduce the noise not increase it; and its the only solution to really help.. tweaking settings wont gather more photons

secplus

n3wb
Reaction score
so, downgrading to 2mp with a better cameras should help with this situation?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the cameras they have now are rated @ 0.01Lux with F1.2, but the lens is F2.0 and thats a much smaller aperture so your probably looking at ~0.6lux with an F2.0 (fuzzy brain math), check out these Turrets that are good to 0.006Lux with the lens it comes with (F1.4): Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

also the IR on that specific model is very weak 30m for that mini dome vs 50m for the starlight turret..

I have some 4MP cameras deployed right now; and in very low light conditions they are horribly nosey.. only after I added alot of external lighting did it get to a tolerable level of quality.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so, downgrading to 2mp with a better cameras should help with this situation?
turn off smart ir, and turn the cameras away from the walls. It almost looks like the IR has been disabled...check that the IR is on and working. as others have pointed out the 2mp is superior but you will likely still not be happy since there is very little outside light and and if you really want great nightvision you should look at the 1080p dahua starlight turret.