Help with IP Camera purchase

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys I’m pretty new to IP cameras with my only experience being my GBF PL960M WiFi IP Doorbell http://gbfelectronics.com/product/gbf-pl960m/. With GBF’s tech help I’ve played around with the camera’s online settings some… but I’m definitely a novice. The camera provides a live feed of the front of my house (Integrated dual-stream full-featured 720P IP camera offers a 110 degree wide viewing angle) so satisfied with that. I was using GBF’s software until one of their techs suggested trying Blue Iris since it could do so many other things. It’s pretty complicated to me and I don’t understand many of the settings but I’m up & running with the software.

Anyway since I’m now using BI I’m thinking about getting an inexpensive ($130 or lower) camera for our backyard. I’m wanting to mount it on the back wall of the house above our deck so it shoots out covering our yard. There is an outside ac outlet fairly close to where I think I want to mount the camera, but mounted low not high which would require running an extension cord to the higher mounted camera. I plan on getting a wireless camera and running off WiFi. The camera needs to be compatible with BI.

In order not to limit my choices can POE cameras also run via an AC adapter? I’m thinking it would be easier for me to plug in a camera to the AC outlet then to have to run an Ethernet cable from the router. What do you think of these IP cameras:

Amcrest ProHD Outdoor IP2M-842 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WXCX28/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1F68O3YMMET9I&coliid=I39GEKPR6G13XZ&psc=1

Amcrest ProHD Outdoor IP3M-943B
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor-3-Megapixel-Wireless-Security/dp/B01I01QLTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472574264&sr=8-1&keywords=IP3M-943B

I’m also open to other camera suggestions since my IP camera knowledge is limited.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of people will say don't use Wifi, I might pop up and say that I've got a wifi camera and it's fine.... but I will also say, don't use Wifi unless you really have to.

Definitely don't buy Amcrest, their customer service, business model etc completely stinks.

What I will recommend is Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS (4mm / 6mm but not 2.8mm)

1) Supports Wifi and PoE, so you can use Cat5 cable or PowerLine adapters after you've tried Wifi and realised it doesn't work well.
2) You can put an SD card to capture photos and very recent videos in case BI goes down or Wifi goes down
3) 4MP, proven reliable, pictures are good for day but not amazing at night if it's really dark

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Screw Wifi and Armcrest.. go look at Dahua or Hikvision PoE Turret Cameras with 3.6mm or higher optics..

delBoy is the only person I know of running a Wifi camera here without issue, and thats because he is only running 1; yet I assure him its still screwing up the Wifi in his house for the devices that are truly wireless.. trying to deploy a whole wireless surveillance system is bound to end in total failure.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Screw Wifi and Armcrest.. go look at Dahua or Hikvision PoE Turret Cameras with 3.6mm or higher optics..

delBoy is the only person I know of running a Wifi camera here without issue, and thats because he is only running 1; yet I assure him its still screwing up the Wifi in his house for the devices that are truly wireless.. trying to deploy a whole wireless surveillance system is bound to end in total failure.
This is true, I'm only running one and I would no way run a full system. This is why I didn't recommend Wifi to OP! A win for once!

P.S. Mine is on a separate old router, not on my home network.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Del Boy the Hikvision you recommended is the dome type but wouldn't I need to use the bullet type for mounting on the back wall of my house? Maybe you can explain the different mounting options of dome vs bullet cameras.

My video doorbell camera is currently running on WiFi without any issues so that's why I was hoping to do the same with the backyard camera. That said as long as I purchase a camera that supports both WiFi and POE guess I will have options.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats because its a single 720p camera, which is pretty low bandwidth.. a pair of 1080p or greater cameras is usually enough to entirely saturate the airwaves.

Go for a Bullet or a Turret over a dome, domes have issues outside.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about a link for a good Bullet or Turret camera then but something in my price range. I don't know maybe a 720p camera would be good enough for me not looking to set the world on fire.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How about a link for a good Bullet or Turret camera then but something in my price range. I don't know maybe a 720p camera would be good enough for me not looking to set the world on fire.
Look at the hikvision 2mp/1080p turret cameras...they will give you solid reliable performance. Buy from a known seller and make sure the camera is US region.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run a few Dahua cameras and a whole lot of Hikvision cameras, but for your backyard camera I would recommend the Longse LBW90S500. 5 megapixel density. Highly regarded IMX178 sensor. Within the limit of your budget. And the standard 3.6mm lens it comes with should cover a large portion of your backyard. This is a large bullet form factor camera.

(Be sure to set YouTube to watch in HD resolution)

Good daytime video...

Good night video...

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run a few Dahua cameras and a whole lot of Hikvision cameras, but for your backyard camera I would recommend the Longse LBW90S500. 5 megapixel density. Highly regarded IMX178 sensor. Within the limit of your budget. And the standard 3.6mm lens it comes with should cover a large portion of your backyard. This is a large bullet form factor camera.

(Be sure to set YouTube to watch in HD resolution)

Good daytime video...

Good night video...
Q2U you mentioned the Longse LBW90S500 is a pretty large camera do you know the dimensions? Is this 720p or 1080p?

Didn't see where it said it was WiFi so I would need to run a Ethernet cable from my router? Does this plug in to a AC outlet?

This seems strange to me but most of the cameras you guys are recommending need to be ordered from China or wherever. Why?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Q2U you mentioned the Longse LBW90S500 is a pretty large camera do you know the dimensions?
The LBW90S500 is a large bullet, as shown here. 162mm wide x 88mm high x 86mm deep as shown in the Longse LBW90S500 specs.

Is this 720p or 1080p?
  • The image produced by a 1 megapixel 720p sensor is: 1280 pixels x 720 pixels
  • The image produced by a 2 megapixel 1080p sensor is: 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels
  • The image produced by a 5 megapixel IMX178 sensor in the LBW90S500 is: 2592 pixels x 1944 pixels (although it is able to run at lower resolutions).
So the answer is that is it a higher resolution that 720p or 1080p.

Didn't see where it said it was WiFi so I would need to run a Ethernet cable from my router? Does this plug in to a AC outlet?
This camera does not run WiFi: forget WiFi because it basically sucks for cameras. The LBW90S500 camera runs off via POE or with an power adapter.

This seems strange to me but most of the cameras you guys are recommending need to be ordered from China or wherever. Why?
Because we are secret Red Qommie Bastids and now that you know we have to come for you...sorry about that bro...pay that insurance premium quickly.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Q2U the Longse LBW90S500 sounds like a great camera for me. Do we know how reliable Longse cameras are say compared to Hikvision which fenderman recommended? He mentioned looking at hikvision 2mp/1080p turret cameras but the LBW90S500 would be better correct?

Will this work with Windows 10? Software setup should be easy and works with BI?

Where, how can this be purchased? How are defective products handled under warranty?

Since this can be powered via PoE would I need something like this to go between my router and camera?
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Injector-Adapter-TL-PoE150S/dp/B001PS9E5I

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you going to run a cable now? You're not going to get this working well with either PLC or Wifi.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes if I can get by running a Ethernet cable directly through the outside wall of my house from my router room, then straight up to my eaves, then around to the camera location. I think where the cable exits the house and runs up the side to the eaves will be the only time it's visible. I have a older house and no one will see the cable but me... maybe I can find a color that blends in to my cedar siding. Ethernet cable maybe not meant to be run outside but it's my best option.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You really need to be a hobbyist/tinkerer/techie to get one of these. It's not recommended for noobs.

Get shielded outdoor ethernet cable. It's meant for... outdoors!