Help with low quality DSL router/modem

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to allow my android tablets at home to access the LAN but block them from the WAN.

My ISP provides a DSL modem with a built in router/firewall. Cat5 line from DSL outside comes in, has 4 ports for computers going out, slow WIFI, etc.. Modem software interface lets me make some changes to firewall settings, see IP addresses, subnets, etc. But its not very useful or rich in features.. The wifi sucks too.

So I'm thinking about buying a more modern router/firewall. Looking at TP-Link Archer (A6) series. I want to spend $50, not $300. We use our PC computers for all internet activities, its very rare when anyone uses a tablet to get online and no one is playing bandwidth sucking games or streaming HD video via Wifi except when we're looking at the security camera(s).

Here's my question.. What is going to be involved in plugging this wifi router into my DSL router/modem? The DSL firewall has an "OFF" setting, and I'm GUESSING that I just set the new router's WAN address to one of the DSL router's LAN address right? So if my DSL router is giving LAN IP's as 192.168.254.XXX, then I just set the new router to one of those? Or would I just let DHCP do its thing?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to allow my android tablets at home to access the LAN but block them from the WAN.

My ISP provides a DSL modem with a built in router/firewall. Cat5 line from DSL outside comes in, has 4 ports for computers going out, slow WIFI, etc.. Modem software interface lets me make some changes to firewall settings, see IP addresses, subnets, etc. But its not very useful or rich in features.. The wifi sucks too.

So I'm thinking about buying a more modern router/firewall. Looking at TP-Link Archer (A6) series. I want to spend $50, not $300. We use our PC computers for all internet activities, its very rare when anyone uses a tablet to get online and no one is playing bandwidth sucking games or streaming HD video via Wifi except when we're looking at the security camera(s).

Here's my question.. What is going to be involved in plugging this wifi router into my DSL router/modem? The DSL firewall has an "OFF" setting, and I'm GUESSING that I just set the new router's WAN address to one of the DSL router's LAN address right? So if my DSL router is giving LAN IP's as 192.168.254.XXX, then I just set the new router to one of those? Or would I just let DHCP do its thing?

Thanks!
Hi @Murphy625

FYI - I don't trust the TP routers much right now...

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
how to allow my android tablets at home to access the LAN but block them from the WAN ...

The simplest method would be to ensure whichever router you decide to connect to the ISP provided DSL modem has the capability of blocking local devices from the internet.

My router has this capability by selecting the device by its MAC address and setting a "Block Internet" switch.

1578702412250.png

The World icon with red hyphen indicates that it is blocked from accessing the WAN.

Good routers will have a similar, one-click, feature.

Though possible using firewall rules or other network trickery, it's best to keep things as simple as possible.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
SUCCESS!
Got on facebook and bought a Netgear AC1750 R6700 from a local person just a mile up the road.. a whopping $30.

Took a few minutes to figure out how to do a hard-reset to clear the login garbage, but I've got it all working. I was able to get it configured so none of the tablets have access to the internet but can see the cameras just fine.

Thanks for the help....

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score