Help with Masking

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys just purchased Blue Iris so still trying to figure out all the settings. I’ve basically left all the settings to default until I can better understand what they do. The image is from a doorbell camera and when really windy the tree limbs keep triggering the motion sensor. Calmer days no issues with the sensor triggering. Yes, it would help if the trees were trimmed. (LOL)

Don’t understand BI masking beyond getting to that screen in the software… all the different zones have me confused. Basically I would like to brush away some/all of the tree limbs which I can easily do with my mouse but what zone should I be on while doing this? Is the masking procedure (1) select a zone; say B, (2) brush/mask what you want, (3) close out of software?

Any detailed help would be appreciated!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't mask in blue iris..you select the areas you want to motion detect...the help file explains the process. ..

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well went back and read help file again. I came up with selecting Zone B and creating a rectangular box for it to detect motion in... excluding the tree limbs. I"m still getting some triggers without anything noticeable could shadows from the tree limbs be causing this?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well went back and read help file again. I came up with selecting Zone B and creating a rectangular box for it to detect motion in... excluding the tree limbs. I"m still getting some triggers without anything noticeable could shadows from the tree limbs be causing this?
yes, any change in color or contrast can trigger motion..thats why you can adjust those settings...consider using zone crossing and/or setting up a cloned camera in blue iris, one that records on the slightest motion and the other only for alerts...then hide the clone.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks! After searching I found instructions for cloning a camera but still not quite sure what zone crossing is though. I'll see if I can give cloning a try first.