Help with Networking Issue

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a strange issue and I thought I would throw it out here. I do networking for a living but this has me stumped. Has to be something simple and I'm just missing it to the point of embarrassment.

I have a simple peer-to-peer network at home. I'm using a Cisco 2960 POE 8-port switch for the cameras. The cisco 2960 is uplinked to a basic switch where my BI server is plugged in at. I decided to move my BI server in to the 2960 so it was in the same switch as the cameras. The BI server worked fine, all cameras reconnected and the BI server could get to the internet. However, I could not get to the BI server's web pages and the android app could not connect. I thought may something was caching an arp connection somewhere so I restarted the BI server, the 2960 and the other basic switch. Still could not connect. Not only couldn't I connect to the web pages or with the mobile app, I couldn't VNC either. I could ping it and see it on the network but I just couldn't connect to any services. I can however connect to the cameras from any computer connected to the basic switch.

I let it sit for a few hours to hopefully let anything cached time out but I still could not connect. Once I put the BI server back in to the basic switch everything instantly worked again. This is weird and I just don't understand it.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your server set with a static IP on your network? Check Blue Iris Options > Web Server to ensure your IP is set correctly. Also, look at port rules on both firewall and router to ensure you have full path in and out of each.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you do a full power down of everything? cameras too.. something has a stale cache

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you do a full power down of everything? cameras too.. something has a stale cache
I power cycled the BI server, my mobile device and the PC I was trying to access the BI server from. All from within the local lan. The cameras on the BI server restored fine and I could still access the cameras directly from my PC. I'll have to either clear the ARP cache in the 2960 or power cycle it and try again.

I have noticed that when I switch between my access points I sometimes have to wait several minutes before I can locally reconnect to the BI server. One of the access points is connected to the 2960 and the other is in the basic switch. That leads me to believe it's something cached in the 2960. That's what I get for mixing enterprise level equipment with basic home equipment.

I'll probably won't try this again till the weekend. I just never feel like doing network stuff when I get home from doing it all day long.