Help with new system

Zack

n3wb
Reaction score
I am so overwhelmed after a few days of reading these forums. I have some ideas on camera choice, but i need 2 separate systems, one for my house and one for my business. I'm stuck now because i can't pick an NVR and ease of use is #1 most important thing. If i didn't mind my data in the cloud, then i'd go for a nest or whatever. MY budget for both systems combined is around 1500.

I'm leaning POE with an NVR for ease of install. My wife will also need access and she is not exactly savvy with tech issues. Thus, i'm wondering if someone recommends a certain NVR for best quality of the IOS and/or web app.

Needs as follows:
Location 1 - Kitchen
- 4 indoor cams
- 4 outdoor cams
- NVR 1

Location 2 - Residence
- 4 outdoor cams
- NVR 2

I'm thinking 2MP would be plenty as the furthest distance i would need to see on any cam is about 60 ft. I hope it's not frowned upon to ask these kinds of questions but clearly there are some major experts here and i'm hoping someone can just give me a link and say this is best UI and cam quality.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Zack,

Welcome to the forum!

As you can imagine, many, many, many newbies start with a general question like you asked. I know, I did in early 2016. I was overwhelmed then, but I've gotten much more proficient since then. And I learned the learning curve that faced me, had faced many before me.

You will get up the learning curve! But it will take reading and studying. I strongly suggest you read the answers provided to other newbies. Some threads offer a lot of detailed guidance for newcomers. Check this "sticky" thread from member zero-degrees: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

The do some google searches of this site using the "site:" feature, to filter out sites selling stuff or simply using the words in your search

new system, advice, newbie, site:ipcamtalk.com
newbie, site:ipcamtalk.com

Later, you can ask specific questions. The general questions from newbies just fatigues many members. They'd rather you did a little research first. Hand holding everyone that just walked into "Camera 101" means members pass over your overly-general question. (since they've answered it so many times before). No dis intended.... Jes saying.... The best replies here are for specific questions.

That said, I'll answer some questions:

I'm leaning POE with an NVR for ease of install. My wife will also need access and she is not exactly savvy with tech issues. Thus, i'm wondering if someone recommends a certain NVR for best quality of the IOS and/or web app.
1) NVR is easier to set up than a PC connected to cameras. With PC running software to record, playback, etc. Blue Iris may not be for you.
2) NVR with built in POE is easier for a non-tech person setting up a system. But there are drawbacks. eg: you can't just surf in to your camera to makes changes to camera settings. Not all camera configuration can be done from the NVR. Some setting require you connect your laptop to a camera, so your browser can reaach the camera. Your laptop can't reach through the POE NVR to surf into the camera. Lots of discussion on the pros & cons of [NVR w/ internal POE] vs [NVR and external POE switch]
3) Reccomend certain NVR: Dahua or Hikvision. Don't mix-n-match. Use cameras from the same vendor as NVR.

i'm wondering if someone recommends a certain NVR for best quality of the IOS and/or web app.
Short answer is "No"
Long answer is this shows how green you are.
NVR recommendations are based on:
- features (4K resolution is emerging), (external alarms for sensors like PIR or doormat switches), etc)
- how many cams can be connected (more cams means more incoming data, requiring more bandwidth and powerful processor)
- what vendor cams you like. (currently, the "Starlight" cam line from Dahua is the best low-light cam available at a decent price)

Note: Generally, you don't pick an NVR "for best quality of the IOS and/or web app".
Just like you wouldn't pick a laptop based on it's ability to handle a web app.
Android or Apple for viewing remotely on a phone are not differentiable factors right now. Dahua and Hikvision offer comparable capability.

I'm thinking 2MP would be plenty as the furthest distance i would need to see on any cam is about 60 ft.
Don't fall into the MP trap. For security cams, it's more important to consider nightime performance instead of the MP of the cam. Check the starlight cam line from Dahua. Forum senior member nayr offers an awesome review, with side by side video comparisons, of outdoors applications.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

i'm hoping someone can just give me a link and say this is best UI and cam quality.
No such thing exists.
Everyone is different: Requirements, budget, tech savvy, system purpose, etc.
Imagine asking "i'm hoping someone can just give me a link and say this is the best {car, computer, TV, phone} to buy"

Zack, again: Welcome to the forum! This is an excellent resource.
Lotsa VERY, VERY proficient people here! (they tackle the trickier questions, but shy away from answering identical newbie question over-and-over-and-over)

Fastb