Help with play back and recording!

ch0wd0wn

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so I bought "Wansview Outdoor 720P WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera ,IP66 Weatherproof, 720P W3-Black" from Amazon and got it set up and running.

I want it to record continuously so I installed the software on my PC and record. Problem I'm having is that when I need to look back at the video's they are SO LARGE... its not easy to scroll through them. I tried using VLC player but still I cannot jump to certain times of the day of the recording.

Any advice on what to do? Any playback software out there that I can scroll through these large video files?

Thanks!
C

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
ch0wd0wn,

I'm not familiar with Wansview.
The camera doesn't appear to have Motion Detect or Tripwire capability.
If it does, those "events" could be marked on a timeline in the playback viewer.
See attached pic. The orange and red spots in the timeline are where you'd look for interesting video.

Alternative:
Check the recording config settings. You may be able to set file size. Pick a smaller size. You'll get more files, but their time stamp will let you jump closer to those "times of the day" you want to review.

Good luck,
Fastb

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Step 1 - return the wansview.
Step 2 - buy reliable ip cameras and use quality vms software or NVR.
Step 3 - relax and stop pulling your hair out.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Step 1 - return the wansview.
Step 2 - buy reliable ip cameras and use quality vms software or NVR.
Step 3 - relax and stop pulling your hair out.
Love when u say to return the junk cams.always gives me a chuckle:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Love when u say to return the junk cams.always gives me a chuckle:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am currently using 6 Wansview cams, 4 k2 and 2 PTZ, all at 1080 (have them stepped down to 720p for lower bitrate however). I have had 0 issues with them in 6 months. 3 of them I have outdoors even (the k2's are indoor only), but they are under a porch roof. Temps got to around 10 degrees F and they ran without issue. I run Blue Iris however, and it probably makes up for many shortcomings of the Wansview software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently using 6 Wansview cams, 4 k2 and 2 PTZ, all at 1080 (have them stepped down to 720p for lower bitrate however). I have had 0 issues with them in 6 months. 3 of them I have outdoors even (the k2's are indoor only), but they are under a porch roof. Temps got to around 10 degrees F and they ran without issue. I run Blue Iris however, and it probably makes up for many shortcomings of the Wansview software.
Good luck to you....wansview should be avoided like the plague...they will fail soon...they are subpar in every way...

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Understood, but looking at value/cost... in my situation, 6 decent cameras for 375.00 is better than one awesome camera for the same price (just more coverage). That is IF you do not rely on them for critical alarms without redundancy. As long as they stream constant video, hold up under environmental conditions, and have descent IR.... Blue Iris makes up for many shortcomings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood, but looking at value/cost... in my situation, 6 decent cameras for 375.00 is better than one awesome camera for the same price (just more coverage). That is IF you do not rely on them for critical alarms without redundancy. As long as they stream constant video, hold up under environmental conditions, and have descent IR.... Blue Iris makes up for many shortcomings.
Its not a value if they dont hold up...or die when you need it most...Murphy's law