Help with port forwarding and DS-2CD2432F-IW

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Router: Netgear R7000
Camera: DS-2CD2432F-IW

Camera connected directly to router on IP 192.168.1.12.
By typing in 192.168.1.12 I'm able to get to the login screen, login, and use the camera.
I forwarded port 192.168.1.12 on my router using same internal/external start port of 5051 and TCP/UDP.
I went into Hikvision camera GUI and set Server Port to 5051 (was 8000).

What else do I need to do? Does the RTSP or HTTPS port need to change? Those are both still set at 554 and 443 respectively. HTTP port is 80.

I've forwarded ports on my router for several other things and they work fine. Not sure what's special about this setup????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Router: Netgear R7000
Camera: DS-2CD2432F-IW

Camera connected directly to router on IP 192.168.1.12.
By typing in 192.168.1.12 I'm able to get to the login screen, login, and use the camera.
I forwarded port 192.168.1.12 on my router using same internal/external start port of 5051 and TCP/UDP.
I went into Hikvision camera GUI and set Server Port to 5051 (was 8000).

What else do I need to do? Does the RTSP or HTTPS port need to change? Those are both still set at 554 and 443 respectively. HTTP port is 80.

I've forwarded ports on my router for several other things and they work fine. Not sure what's special about this setup????
what app are you using for remote viewing?
did you test for an open port with canyouseeme.org?

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not using any app for remote viewing. Just trying to open it in an IE browser the same way I do locally.

canyouseeme is successful.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not using any app for remote viewing. Just trying to open it in an IE browser the same way I do locally.

canyouseeme is successful.
Then you will need to open the http port and the rtsp port. If its set to 80, if your router allows distinct external ports set the exteral port to something higher like 8585. Leave the internal port at 80. (sometimes the hiks dont like their ports changed)
This is a bad idea and not very secure.
If you must have direct access to the camera, then use a vpn.
How are you using the camera?

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Just bought it. Plan to use it as a baby monitor. If it works well, I'll be buying more and hooking them up around the house. Eventually they will all feed into my FreeNAS box.

So I would need to forward both of those ports to log into the camera? Yeah, that's probably bad.

Ok, so is there an app that you would recommend that would give me a secure connection? I see people talking about Blue Iris and others.

I just tried and my router won't let me forward port 80 due to "a conflict with another service".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought it. Plan to use it as a baby monitor. If it work well, I'll be buying more and hooking them up around the house. Eventually they will all feed into my FreeNAS box.

So I would need to forward both of those ports to log into the camera? Yeah, that's probably bad.

Ok, so is there an app that you would recommend that would give me a secure connection? I see people talking about Blue Iris and others.

I just tried and my router won't let me forward port 80 due to "a conflict with another service".
see my edited post about port 80. use a different external port. Most routers allow this. If not try changing the port in the camera.
The hikvsion app requires only the media port to be forwarded (default 8000). Its free. Though its still not secure. Are you using the latest firmware or is this a china camera that cannot be upgraded?
Blue iris is fantastic, though it requires a pc to run as a server and is over kill for a baby monitor, but perfect for security.
You might consider setting up a vpn connection..
`

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I forwarded internal port 80 to another larger external port and I'm able to log in now.

Yep. Learning how to set up a VPN sounds like the next step. Doesn't going through a VPN service slow down your connection, or am I mixing things up? I see my router has the option to enable OpenVPN.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I forwarded internal port 80 to another larger external port and I'm able to log in now.

Yep. Learning how to set up a VPN sounds like the next step. Doesn't going through a VPN service slow down your connection, or am I mixing things up? I see my router has the option to enable OpenVPN.
Any speed decrease will likely not be noticeable. Would you rather have someone access your camera and network?